Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Dell Inspiron 620 mobo issues

9K views 32 replies 5 participants last post by  captainron276 
#1 ·
hello i just recently bought a dell inspiron 620 desktop running windows 7 and a I5 2310 2.9GHz (quad core) now my question is is can i upgrade the stock PSU from the standard of 300W to support a bigger graphics card now the reason im asking is because i spoke to a lady from dell via tech chat and she told me couldnt upgrade PSU as to because the mobo wont handle the bigger PSU. then she said i can upgrade it to a 350W PSU but id have to upgrade the mobo to do so. THIS DOESNT MAKE ANY SENSE TO ME!! my mother board is Dell Inc. 0GDG8Y looks to be a SFF ATX board now i need to know if im able to upgrade it for bigger graphics card and why they lady at dell said mobo cant handle bigger psu thanks for any help u guys acan give me

#3 ·
Just by looking at the case I can tell you're going to have a problem with heat if you drop a huge power supply and powerful graphics card in there. It's a low-end consumer desktop. It's not designed for heavy gaming. If you just bought it, see if you can return it, and get something better suited for your needs.

#4 ·
I've never heard of not being able to upgrade your psu because of the motherboard. As long as it is not a proprietary form factor (ie, it will fit (I don't think inspirons are proprietary)) you should not have any issues with getting a larger wattage power supply.

#5 ·
Zuggel, perhaps you haven't worked with OEM computers much. The cases are proprietary, the boards are customized for the manufacturer, etc. We're not talking about stock parts here. It's entirely possible that the board can't handle the load or the PSU wouldn't fit in the case.

It's also highly likely that the entire system will overheat and fail if you try to cram that much power into an essentially sealed case.

#6 ·
well see thing is all im really looking for is arounf a 400W-450W now i thought that the mobo was designed to control how much power it takes from the PSU and im not really needng to add A BAD-*** card lol just something lil better than on board graphics is there anyway i can find out wheater or not i can or cant upgrade the psu and it has a HUGE amount of room in the case it seems to look to me like a atx sized case and a micro-atx board (why put tht size mobo in tht size case?) and what about what the lady from dell said what kind of sense does that make?? and what do u mean "propriety cases"?

#8 ·
Zuggel, perhaps you haven't worked with OEM computers much. The cases are proprietary, the boards are customized for the manufacturer, etc..... the PSU wouldn't fit in the case.
That was why i stated if it fit.

It's entirely possible that the board can't handle the load
Could you explain this to me? Discussing somewhat recent system with current standard, I thought that the power provided to the motherboard was fairly consistent and not depended on the total output capacity of the supply.

As far as overheating, I actually am typing on a slight older inspiron and (perhaps poorly for future reference) assumed that he was talking about adding a midgrade video card for a slight performance bump or dual monitors.

#9 ·
thats correct zuggell i have a DVI LCD 21" WS monitor and i want to use the dvi connection and not the vga and like he said a mid range card for lil bit of a bump and for dual monitors in the future now am i able to do this or not?? if not am i able to use all of these components and just buy a newer or non(OEM) board

#11 ·
@replay but what about the Overheating he said ?? what are the chances of overheating?? and what are u basing ur answer on?? Just curious and what u mean by "nvr heard tht b4"? im sorry to sound like a worry wort just that i paid 500 bucks for this and cant afford to replace it

#12 ·
OEM boards are not stock boards. They're limited as to what processors can installed even if the chipset supports something different. The BIOS is customized as well. Perhaps any power supply would work with the board. It's not something I personally would push.

Overheating is a huge issue. Look at the case. From the pictures on Dell's website, it appears to be almost entirely sealed. I'm guessing there's probably one fan on the back, right? That's probably why the board is small and the case is huge. Increases airflow. You throw a bigger board, larger power supply, and a beefier graphics card in there, and it turns into a greenhouse.

You bought a perfectly fine Everyday Computer (as described on Dell's website). You can't turn it into a powerhouse.

#15 ·
I own an Inspiron 530 and my case is very similar to the 620 case. I have upgraded my PS to a 450W and a Video card to the Nvidia 9500GT. I have no heat issues at all. The thing I would be concerned about is your warranty as you could be voiding it out by doing what you want to do.

#16 ·
@helix i cant return it now been ovr 30 days and why do i have to buy a new case?? @captainron i dont care about warranty but is ur mobo similar to mine read the above post and see my mobo type is i guess u call it micr-ATX its very smll and OEM it seems is ur similar??? if so maybe ill risk it

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.