1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dell Inspiron E1505 Won't Charge / Turn on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bascotie, Jul 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bascotie

Bascotie Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I have a laptop I'm working on that will not turn on/ charge. I've tried a different adapter to no avail. I've also taken a battery from an equally rated Dell Inspiron (different model) laptop and it does not turn on with that either.

I've replaced the charging component off a motherboard before but this one is different as it is not simply a connector that goes from the charging outlet and plugs into the motherboard somewhere. It is just a piece that is soldered on and I can't tell what route it's taking.

I've tested the charger using a multimeter and it outputs ~ 19.5v so it should be fine. Any ideas?

EDIT: After doing some research online, I found that the center pin of the charger 'port' (on motherboard) sometimes goes in. Has anyone replaced one of these? If so, do you just unsolder it and solder in the new one? Someone mentioned putting some solder in the center and that fixes it?

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Does anything at all happen when you try to power it up, any lights flashing or sounds ?

If it doesn't work with a charged up battery there is a hardware problem inside the laptop.
    If it was just the power socket it should still work from battery power.

I would try charging the problem laptop's battery in the other laptop then try it in the problem laptop.

3. Bascotie

Bascotie Thread Starter

Unfortunately, I don't have a charged up battery to try and cannot charge either of them (the computer I took the battery from has the same issue).

In the 'other' laptop, if I press the charger in far enough it'll turn on so it seems like it maybe be a connection issue.

EDIT: Everyone online is saying there's a 'center pin' that goes bad? Anyone know if that's the pin INSIDE the charger port or the one thats connected to mobo?

4. Bascotie

Bascotie Thread Starter

Found the problem.

Ok so after ordering a couple of the charger ports that attach to the motherboard (and hopefully being able to cancel that order..), I found that it was in fact the charger. The customer told me they bought another charger and it didn't work either (and they threw it away), and ordered another one. I can only assume the second charger they bought (off ebay) was already faulty (or they had used it enough to go bad).

Dell has a problem with their chargers where the it may be the center pin on the CHARGER connector gets pushed in. Hence, many people who push hard enough will find that it eventually charges. In my case, using a multimeter I found that i was only getting a 19v reading when i bend the cable in a certain direction.

I'm not sure exactly how to fix this but I may open it up and see what I can do.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1007693

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice