1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dell Inspiron e1705 hard drive cloning

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by markbenl, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. markbenl

markbenl Thread Starter

I recently purchased a 500GB WD Scorpio Blue hard drive and was hoping to clone my current 120 GB SATA drive to that one. I used Apricorn EZ Gig II and a USB SATA wire to clone the disk and then swapped out the 120 GB HD for the 500 GB one. After getting to the XP load screen I received a blue screen error message and could not properly load windows. Looking in the setup menu, the computer also did not recognize that a different hard drive had been installed.

I've read through other posts and have learned that the Dells that come Media Direct software have an HPA on the hard drives that cannot be copied normally. The other problems don't exactly match mine, which is why I decided to post my problem.

At this point, I'm having difficulty even trying to reclone the hard drive, as the new drive is not recognized as blank storage anymore.

I am hoping there is a solution I could use to re-clone the entire hard drive without any need to reinstall Windows.

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Try another cloning Software, I use Acronis myself.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

If cloning with Acronis does not work, try making a full disk Image of the 120gig using Acronis, then restore that image (1 partition at a time) to the new drive, then last restore the MBR.

3. markbenl

markbenl Thread Starter

Thanks for the help so far. I now have True Image installed and would be ready to try and clone my hard disk again. However, I'm having a little trouble reformatting the new hard drive so it is in it's original state. If I try to format through Windows, the disc is only recognized as a 110GB and I'm not sure the whole thing would get cleared.

4. markbenl

markbenl Thread Starter

If the above post wasn't clear, I was hoping for instructions on wiping the external disc clear before attempting to reclone my primary hard drive. Does anyone know if Secure Erase, http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/SecureErase.shtml, can be used to wipe an external drive that I hope to use again.

5. markbenl

markbenl Thread Starter

I have Dell Inspiron e1705 laptop with Windows XP Professional SP3 installed. Ultimately, I am trying to clone my current 120GB hard drive with a new 500 GB hard drive. I using the Apricorn software, I made an attempt to clone it clone it once. The cloned hard drive failed to load properly- I suspect this has something to do with the hidden partition Dell uses with the media direct software.

Now, before I make another attempt at cloning the new hard drive, I was hoping to wipe it clean. Unfortunately, it is only being recognized as ~110 GB drive and formatting it was not helpful. I installed the Acronis software as directed, but first, I think I need to completely erase all the data new 500 GB hard drive. Again, thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

6. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

What I would do, make this bootable wipe CD, then put the new drive in the laptop (don't use the adapter), boot from the CD and let it wipe the drive for a few minutes, no need to let it wipe the entire drive, once it has run for a few minutes force a shutdown of the laptop, put the old drive back in and connect the new drive and see what size it reports.

http://www.dban.org/

7. zack333

zack333

u gatta clone the image otherwis to windows is just a bunch of files....

8. markbenl

markbenl Thread Starter

Mumbodog-- I wiped the 500 GB drive as directed. It is still only being recognized as a 110 GB drive. Do you know of any way to correct this?

9. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

I wonder if it has something to do with the adapter you are using.

10. markbenl

markbenl Thread Starter

I don't believe it's the adapter. I just booted the disk without the adapter using the SeaTools boot CD. It recognized the correct number of sectors on the hard drive. When I tried to set the capacity to maximum (and to other sizes) using SeaTools' advanced settings, the operations failed.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

What is its capacity in XP's Disk Management?

What version of XP do you have installed and what service pack level? (XP "Gold", the original, does not support drives that large, but BIOS should still recognize the size correctly unless set manually.)

Is BIOS set to autodetect drives (if you have that option). You just need to be sure that manual settings for the old drive weren't entered.

12. markbenl

markbenl Thread Starter

I think this site explains how I ended up with a truncated hard disk. http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/hpa-issues.htm SeaTools was not correcting the problem, but I will probably attempt to return the disk to full capacity in the morning unless someone has a better solution.

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

That looks like it all right. What's your plan?

14. markbenl

markbenl Thread Starter

My plan is to restore the hard drive capacity tomorrow and then re-attempt the cloning. At that point I'll either mark this topic as resolved if I'm successful or try to seek further help if I am not. Thanks for help so far.

15. markbenl

markbenl Thread Starter

Problem Solved! Using the HDAT2 boot CD, I finally managed to repair the truncated hard disk, remove the hidden HPA, and restore the native max address on the larger capacity hard drive. Before trying to clone it again, I zeroed LBA-3 on my smaller hard drive with Roadkil's Sector Editor as directed here. After that, I cloned the hard drive exactly as before and was able to load Windows normally without encountering a blue screen.

I might have found the solution to this problem elsewhere, but thanks to the active contributors who pointed me in the right direction.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917595

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice