1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dell Inspiron - General, yet necessary

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DaisyFlyer, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DaisyFlyer

DaisyFlyer Thread Starter

Mine is a coupla years old and, yes! I'm the original owner. The manual was non-existent. It has Windows 7 and IE 7.

The mouse and keyboard are wireless. However, the unit itself plugs into the cable service's modem. On the other hand, I also have the ac/dc attached. So, can I assume this is wireless as well?

Here's why:

I want to use my Insignia internet/wifi-ready tv as a computer monitor in the living room but keep the Dell in the back room. Can I use a wireless router or will I need one with a 100 foot cord?

Would this allow me to use the Dell keyboard and mouse or will I need other things.

Thanks, everyone.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the model number of your Dell Inspiron?

What's the 7-character "service tag" number on the sticker?

--------------------------------------------------------

3. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    IE8 is integrated into Windows 7, so I don't know how you're using IE7. :confused:

-------------------------------------------------------

4. DaisyFlyer

Oops, thought I added the model number - 2205. Bought it about two years ago.

Would you be insulted if I didn't disclose the service tag? Not you, personally.

5. DaisyFlyer

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Requesting the service tag number is something that we do every day to assist people who own Dell computers.

Providing it to us does NOT reveal any personal information about its owner.

It allows the support and driver site for that specific computer to be accessed and to make it easier for us to assist its owner.

If you don't want to provide it, that's your choice.

-------------------------------------------------------

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Is this your computer?

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/555/Product/inspiron-one-2205

If it is, here is the on-line service manual and setup guide for it.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-prod...op/inspiron-one-2205_service manual_en-us.pdf

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-prod...sktop/inspiron-one-2205_setup guide_en-us.pdf

Note: The manual and guide are in PDF format, so you need to have Adobe Reader installed before you can open and view them.

---------------------------------------------------------

8. DaisyFlyer

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support and downloads site that's specific only to YOUR Dell Inspiron One 22(2205) laptop.

You should add and save this site to your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can readily refer to it when needed.

------------------------------------------------------------

I'll leave you with someone who is knowledgeable in how you want to use that laptop with your TV.

Good luck. :) (y)

------------------------------------------------------------

10. DaisyFlyer

Yeah, thanks.

11. DaisyFlyer

To my surprise, Dell community came thru - no pretenders there!

12. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

What are you trying to say? The fine folks here did offer you some assistence with regards to infromation on your computer. Information you could (should) have also been able to find.

13. DaisyFlyer

Here's the thing: I'm glad that I had info regarding a manual. Really.

However, when a Trusted Advisor with over 47,000 posts says, and I quote, "Requesting the service tag number is something that we do every day to assist people who own Dell computers ... It allows the support and driver site for that specific computer to be accessed and to make it easier for us to assist its owner", it would lead one to assume that he is an expert and would be ready to offer some concrete details quickly. Instead, after strong assertions of proficiency, I got 'Here ya go - Good luck!'.

Look, if he didn't have the time or was unsure of how to answer, it would have been more honest for him to say that as he offered the link to the manual as an aid. That would have left me feeling less 'set up'.

Well, it is what it is. No harm. Take care.

14. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

I would do the same if I did not have solid advice on the matter. The info requested would have helped a member with knowledge on your issue to have your exact computers specs to advise accordingly. I'm glad you got it sorted!

15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Most people here appreciate my help, so that makes up for the few people who don't. I'm not offended. ;)

---------------------------------------------------------

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083921

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice