1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dell Inspiron Memory Installation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ronhum, Jun 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ronhum

ronhum Thread Starter

Well,have a Dell Inspiron 6000 running XP, which I was going to upgrade to 2GB. I ordered a 2GB kit from Dell to upgrade.

I was preparing to do the upgrade, but then read on the internet, that people had updated to the higher memory, and computer would not boot. Then when they put old memory back in still would not boot, etc.

This is kind of scaring me from upgrading, as this is my daughters computer, and I do not want to screw it up.

Is it common for this to occur, and is there anything I could do to increase the chances of it not occurring?

Could this just be a problem with Inspiron notebooks?

Just not sure whether to try the upgrade, hire someone to do it, or just forget it.

Any comments appreciated.

Also, if I do get bold enough to try this, is it really necessary to remove, the battery, hard drive, optical drive, etc. as one article on the internet recommended doing?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  3. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

use the service tag at dell support/chat and ask someone but being dell memory, i don't think you'll have any issues unless they've addressed it in faq's for that machine.

where you run into a problem is getting memory from a 3rd party that isn't compatible or you mix/match modules.
    i had one bad mem slot, of the two, on my inspiron 8500.

it came with 512 but was only reading 256. i removed the 256 and replaced in with a single 512 from office max, was told i'd made a mem change when it booted and no other issues/messages.

i did not remove the battery.

4. arknorth

arknorth

Laptop memory is a pain, ain't it?

The usual problem with laptop memory, Dell included, is that it can seem to look properly seated, when in fact it isn't.

First, insert the memory at an ANGLE into its slot, THEN push down until it clicks into the clips. I can't tell you how many Dells I've seen come through my store with this problem. It even caught me on my very first memory install on my Gateway. If you simply insert and push down into the clips, the memory will seem seated right, but you will either get the dreaded looooong squawwwwk from the speakers, or the system will simply not function.

There's a good chance that those who found that their systems failed to work when they reinstalled the old memory tried to do so the same way they did with the so-called 'failed' new memory.

You HAVE to remember to get that memory in all the way before clicking it into its seat. PERIOD.

A-N

PS - What's in your machine...

Manufacturer : Dell
    Model : Inspiron 6000
    Standard Memory : 256 MB (removable)
    Number of sockets for upgrade : 2
    Maximum amount of memory : 2.0 GB
    Memory must be installed in set(s) of : 1
    Bus Type : USB/PCMCIA
    HardDisk Bustype : Ultra ATA/100
    CPU : Intel Pentium M
    Video Comments : 15.4 Widescreen TFT
    HardDisk Comments :
    Model Comments : 400/533MHz FSB, Intel 915GM/PM Chipset.
    Native OS : Windows XP

5. ronhum

ronhum Thread Starter

Well I did it! Thanks for the tips and confidence! New memory Installed smoothly without a hitch, booted right up, and computer seemed to like that new memory.

Thanks again for help.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/720209

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice