1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dell/Intel Chipset Update

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by John Burns, Jun 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. John Burns

John Burns Thread Starter

This is just to try to help others who might have encountered this problem. Yesterday, I (who am on Microsoft Security Automatic Update) was notified that Microsoft was downloading "Dell Inc. - Video -Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family" critical update. Upon completion of downloading and installing update, I allowed permission to restart my computer. When my computer rebooted, a screen came up which said "OUT OF RANGE". After restoring my computer, in Safe Mode, I restarted it and the same cycle happened again. So, I was smart enough (third time) (and with help from Dell Support) to make Windows Update only notify me of updates rather than automatically download them. Again, I restored my computer and this time it came up fine. But, dummy me, I went back to Windows Update and allowed this update and same old story after installation "OUT OF RANGE". Finally, I just left Microsoft Update to "notify" me of updates, went back, restored my computer and restarted - all was fine. A few hours later I went back to Windows Update and the problem "critical" update had disappeared. I thought - "good" they corrected their error - then Dell came forward an hour later with my Dell Support program that I now had an update which I needed to install for my Intel chipset. Being totally skeptical at this point, I made a restore point and downloaded and installed the chipset driver update. Everything has been fine now for 24 hours. I guess Dell, Intel and Microsoft had a problem coordinating this chipset driver update and finally realized they needed to do it properly. I'll give them credit for correcting the "bad" situation - but they gave a few more grey hairs. I only hope this post will prevent someone from screwing up like I did - just because I let Microsoft, Dell and Intel make me think they know what they are doing - lol.

2. Sponsor

3. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

Thanks for the 'heads up!'

4. John Burns

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I never let Windows Update download hardware updates, I'm surprised that was offered as a "security update". That's not good, and something to keep an eye on.

For anyone using automatic updates, I suggest configuring them to allow you to see what they're updating before you apply them. :)

6. John Burns

I TOTALLY agree, JohnWill. I should have included that in my previous post. Thanks.

Believe me, from this experience, my update setting now is "Notify me but don't automatically download or install them". You are 100% correct in your advice.

7. prospect

prospect

Hoe did you get your computer restored John?

8. John Burns

Luckily I had System Restore point just prior to installation of the update and by going to Safe Mode and restoring my system to the previous System Restore point - plus setting automatic downloads to notify me of downloads before downloading and installing, the system was just fine. Had I not had Safe Mode plus current System Restore point, I am not sure what it would have required, because Windows would not boot up normally.

9. prospect

prospect

Oh, ok. Thanks man. (y)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/370457