1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dell Laptops HD Issue?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dorr8nc, Mar 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dorr8nc

dorr8nc Thread Starter

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 and I believe the HD has went bad....or at least I think it has. I totally washed the HD clean with a program call Boot and Nuke. The reason for doing so was that the computer was having problem in all sorts of areas. Me being a worry wart, thought it was infected with a virus.

So anyway after wiping it clean I tried to install Vista. Before it will install it asks "Where do you want to install Windows?", and it gave me two options...Disk 0 Partition 2 or Disk or Partition 3 MediaDirect. When I highlight Disk 0 Partition 2 for the install location a message appears at the bottom of the screen saying..."The disk may fail soon. If other hard disks are available, install Windows to another location". Well I have no other locations so I tried it on this disk and it would only get to 2% on the Expanding files step. But instead of getting HD error message I get the following message...."Windows cannot install required files. The files does not exist. Make sure all files required for installtion are available, and restart the installation. Error code 0x80070003". I tried this 4 times, all with the same result.

So now I'm really confused as to what the problem is. Is the HD bad? Is the the Vista disk missing files? or is it both:confused:. If it is the HD, do I have to use a Dell HD or can I just go to Best Buy and purchase one there?

Any/all help would be greatly apperciated. :)

2. bbearren

bbearren

Does your Inspiron have a hidden restore partition? Have you tried this?

"To use PC Restore:

Turn on the computer.

During the boot process, a blue bar with www.dell.com appears at the top of the screen.

Immediately upon seeing the blue bar, press <Ctrl><F11>.

If you do not press <Ctrl><F11> in time, let the computer finish starting, and then restart the computer again.

NOTICE: If you do not want to proceed with PC Restore, click Reboot in the following step.

On the next screen that appears, click Restore.

On the next screen, click Confirm.

The restore process takes approximately 6–10 minutes to complete.

When prompted, click Finish to reboot the computer.

NOTE: Do not manually shut down the computer. Click Finish and let the computer completely reboot.

When prompted, click Yes.

The computer restarts. Because the computer is restored to its original operating state, the screens that appear, such as the End User License Agreement, are the same ones that appeared the first time the computer was turned on.

Click Next.

The System Restore screen appears and the computer restarts.

After the computer restarts, click OK."

3. dorr8nc

dorr8nc Thread Starter

Nope it doesn't have a hidden partition. I tried what you said to do and this popped up on the screen...<BOOTMGR is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart> .

I did try System Restore but that has been wiped clean by Boot and Nuke.

4. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

get the hdd tools from the hdd manufacturer then you can check the drive for errors etc

if the hdd is breaking down a tinkling sound is generally heard from the device.
    As drives are usually reasonably priced a new one may be the last option if all else fails.
    if the recovery disk or partition is xp version on the lappie then you can't install vista un less the drive is completely cleaned of all partitions.

5. bbearren

bbearren

Sounds like the installation CD is telling you that you have at least 3 partitions on the disk. If you have your Dell Diagnostics CD you can boot from that and test the hard drive and the system.

If you're going to reinstall, you need to delete all partitions, create a new partition (or more, if you want), format with NTFS (not the quick format) and install.

6. dorr8nc

dorr8nc Thread Starter

Funny you should mention the tinkling sound. I have noticed that every time it quits. Also I have never had XP installed on the laptop so this shouldn't be a problem. Do you know if I need to buy a Dell HD or can I just pick one up at the local Best Buy? I have heard that there could be problems if I use anything other than Dell hardware, but I'm not sure of the validity of this.

7. dorr8nc

dorr8nc Thread Starter

I ran a diagnostic test on the HD and it failed. So I guess I'm going to buy a new one and try to install it. How hard is it to install? I have a pretty good sense of how thing work and have changed everything out in a couple of desk top computers. But I have never really messed with my laptop...other than adding ram which is simple.

8. bbearren

bbearren

Go to the Dell support site and download the service manual for your model. You'll get step-by-step illustrated instructions.

9. dorr8nc

dorr8nc Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys:). I bought a Western Digital Scorpio Blue 250 SATA 250 gigabyte drive from Best Buy. It was simple to install and is running great.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!