1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dell Latitude cpi

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cslayer79, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cslayer79

cslayer79 Thread Starter

Hello, A friend just gave a Dell Latitude cpi because he shut it down with the reboot to start up in dos mode. He didnt know how to change it back so he gave it to me. When its turned on, the screen says Invalid system disk replace the disk and pres sany key. I have xp to put on but no key code for this computer. It has windows 98 on it. I dont have that disk, is that the only way? I would just like to get it back to the previous setting that worked, not in set up either as far as I see, so I can use it for games or what ever.

Thanks
    Chris

2. Farmgirl22

Farmgirl22

I'm pretty sure that if you don't have the original disk, you are pretty much going to have to start from scratch.

3. cslayer79

cslayer79 Thread Starter

4. arknorth

arknorth

CPi's are pretty ancient - you might have a hard time putting XP into it, seeing that (depending on the model) the best processor for it was a PII at 300MHz. Granted, I've managed to squeeze just that sort of setup into that type of a machine (a Micron GoBook II with that very processor) and at least the CPi means you can boost the RAM to a max of 256MB, but how big is the hard drive? Machines back then were notorious for showing up with 2GB HDs.

As for the restore, I will assume that you do not have the restoration disks that came with it. If you do have them, your key code should be on a label on the bottom of the laptop. If not, the best you will be able to do is get a fresh one - I see many examples of W98SE on eBay, or you'll have to find a working copy w/key code. Mind you, there might be a way to get it to boot up correctly.

If the HD is working properly, and all he did was switch it to DOS mode (which normally should have switched back to the Windows setting after he was done, so I'm not sure if this will work - it sounds like he may have inadvertantly erased something while in DOS, which is quite easy to do) is to try the following - TURN ON - when the DELL logo pops up, press the F8 key - this should drop the laptop into the BOOT CHOICE screen - if Windows is available, it should be able to tell you there.

A-N

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/902262

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice