1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dell Latitude D600 undemanded shut-down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oldcelt, Jun 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oldcelt

oldcelt Thread Starter

My Dell laptop shuts itself down after running for about ten hours. The power option in settings is set at "Never shut down" because it's used for CCTV detection and recording.

The most likely cause has been reported as overheating due to a clogged fan and heatsink. So, to avoid wasting time, I bought and fitted a new fan and heatsink and cleaned out the inside of the case whilst I had it in pieces.

Unfortunately, that hasn't solved the problem.

Any other ideas gratefully received.

2. Ze_Dude

Ze_Dude

Is the thermal grease applied properly on both the heatsink and CPU? If it is, the power supply might be dying.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Dell Latitude D600 laptop was introduced in March 2003, so it's well over 10 years old.

----------------------------------------------------------

4. oldcelt

oldcelt Thread Starter

Yeah, fresh thermal grease applied with new heatsink instalation.

5. oldcelt

oldcelt Thread Starter

Tell me something I don't know!

6. Ze_Dude

Ze_Dude

Ok, that pretty much means that your power supply unit might be failing. It's still working O.K., but the problem would most likely be solved if you replaced it. I just wouldn't rely on it much.

7. oldcelt

oldcelt Thread Starter

Thanks - fair comment.
    However, if it runs with the power supply for about ten hours, wouldn't it continue to run on the battery in standby mode if the power supply failed?

I have to confess that I haven't set it to run on a never shut down basis when on batteries. Trying that setup may show if the power supply failed and it continued on the battery until the battery ran out. That could easily last until morning since it's doing nothing unless the CCTV camera is triggered. Doesn't happen much during the night period as we're pretty isolated.

The battery shows maximum charge status when the machine is running during the day - ?

8. Ze_Dude

Ze_Dude

The power supply is not the charger, the battery provides power for the power supply and the power supply sends the power to all the components. When plugged in, the charger provides power for the power supply. After about 10 hours, the power supply fails, no matter whether or not the battery or charger is still going.

9. Ze_Dude

Ze_Dude

Also, I wouldn't keep leaving it on for 10 hours like that, as when a power supply fails the computer usually doesn't shut down safely, and this can lead to lost or corrupted files (or worse).

10. oldcelt

oldcelt Thread Starter

There are no files to loose or get corrupted. It's only purpose is to monitor and record CCTV.

Until two weeks ago this duty was carried out faultlessly 24/7 by a Samsung NC10 notebook. The only reason for the changeover was because I want to take the Samsung abroad with me in July (it's smaller and lighter than any other laptop I own).

11. Ze_Dude

Ze_Dude

Sorry, my fonts are screwed up on this computer and I thought you were using a desktop. As laptops don't have power supply units, there is probably a component on the motherboard heating up after about 10 hours, and the computer shuts down to prevent damage. You should check that the cooling components are working properly and positioned properly.

12. oldcelt

oldcelt Thread Starter

As I said, I've fitted a brand new cooling fan and heatsink (with heat transfer compound, of course, under the heat sink). So, the heat control items should be pristine.

13. Ze_Dude

Ze_Dude

Not necessarily the CPU, it could be anything. I can't guess, as there are so many bits and bobs on a motherboard. Try taking out the motherboard. Does anything look discolored? Also, when it's starting up, press F8 repeatedly for a few seconds and disable "Automatic reboot on system failure". After 10 hours, it might be encountering a Blue Screen of Death, and if you disable the automatic reboot we can see it.

14. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Look in the windows/minidump folder for a dump and zip/post a couple

15. oldcelt

oldcelt Thread Starter

will do tomorrow - ta!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1128573

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice