1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dell Latitude D610 wifi problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tylerscot, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tylerscot

tylerscot Thread Starter

Hello, I have re-installed XP Pro on a friends D610 for her. I installed all windows updates and used the Tag# 11K0T91 on the dell driver site to load all the drivers in the order they specify. The problem is that when I installed the PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network connection driver it installed the software but gave an error that the driver was not installed. I've tried it a few times now and am just baffled.

Here is the ipcong /all :
    --------------------------------
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Keerin>ipconfig /all
    Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : kdhome
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Cont
    roller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-C5-0D-2E-44
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.122
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, January 18, 2011 6:03:27 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, January 19, 2011 6:03:27
    PM
    Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:
    Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Netw
    ork)
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-41-4A-35-49
    --------------------------------------------------

I'm also attaching a screenshot of the device manager. Any help would be hugely appreciated as I've pulled out what little hair I had while attempting this LOL

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

This may be long shot but have you tried right clicking on Other devices / Network Controller an seeing if Windows can find and install the correct drivers?

3. tylerscot

tylerscot Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply but yes I have. I even tried making an .iso of every driver listed under "All Latitude D610" an let it search there but still nothing....BTW, did I mention how much I hate Dell's driver update site!! LOL

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No, and FWIW I don't understand. With a service tag I think it is the easiest PC manufacturer's site to use, and w/o a service tag it is at least as easy. I do stay away from their download manager; don't trust that at all. But I digress; sorry.

That is one of the symptoms I got when my Intel 2200BG or part of the motherboard failed on my Dell Dimension 8600. I verified that there was an issue with it (as opposed to with Windows) because it failed at the same time with Ubuntu. After buying and installing an exact new replacement (except for a different revision number) and getting the same symptoms in both OSes I've concluded a motherboard issue.

Getting an error trying to install the driver may mean an incorrect driver, but probably means adapter or motherboard failure. You might try installing the "raw" driver you can get directly from Intel's site. This is not generally advisable, but it will give a second opinion on whether Dell messed up the driver modification.

5. tylerscot

tylerscot Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I guess I was half asleep when I typed that about the Dell driver site. What I meant to say was I hate their "numbering" file system... and the download manager but yeah I guess it is one of the easier sites to find the files themselves =)

Anyway, I think I agree with the hardware issue....nothing else makes sense. At this point I think a Wireless USB might be her best bet... I'm tired of messing with it LOL

Thanks again,
    Scott

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Gotta agree with you about those stupid numbered files! Haven't they heard of names? :)

You're welcome.

She may find a PCMCIA card or ExpressCard (depending on the slot) more convenient than USB, but I too would recommend using one or the other.

7. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Do have to agree that Dell makes it easy to find the correct drivers for a particular model of computer but the file naming makes it difficult to keep track of them.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!