1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dell Latitude D630 touchpad icon in tray disappears, so does touchpad!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by PFHappy, Mar 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PFHappy

PFHappy Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a Dell Latitude D630 laptop that has issues. Sometimes the touchpad works, and sometimes it doesn't. I've noticed when it doesn't work, the icon in the tray has disappeared or never booted up to begin with. Sometimes it boots up and sometimes it just doesn't even boot up to the tray at all. And at other times, it does.
    (Along with this, maybe it's just a coincidence, but I've been working on this for days and days but when the touchpad doesn't work, the keyboard acts up too!) This might have nothing to do with it at all.

I've done a complete reformat of the hard drive, installed Win XP Professional, reinstalled drivers over and over. Been to the Dell website and have all the newest drivers.
    When I reinstall the touchpad drivers, it does work once again, but this seems to be short lived.
    The laptop is 4 years old...seems strong otherwise, can handle multiple tasks fairly well, has a dual core installed.
    I can't figure it out.
    Can anyone help?

Thank you!!
    Pam

2. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    To help us help you,please use the TSG System Info tool to let Tech's know the specs of your computer: http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe Copy and paste the results here in your thread. You can use the TSG Info to fill in your computer information in your user profile as well.

3. PFHappy

PFHappy Thread Starter

OS Version - XP Professional, with all updates, 32 BIT, recently reformatted within a few days and new XP Prof installed.
    Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T7100 @ 1.80 GHZ
    Ram - 1 GB
    Display - Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family (2 of them)
    HD: 80 GB , has free space 95%
    Antivirus: SuperAntiSpyware, Spybot

4. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    SuperAntiSpyware and Spybot are not Antivirus programs, they are Malware/Spyware programs. Is there a reason you did not run http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe ?

Many members here recommend Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5201 or http://www.avast.com/en-us/index both are free. ONLY USE ONE Anti-Virus program, having more than one will cause problems!

In conjunction with either of them use both of the following and run them at least once a week.
    Malwarebytes
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php
    Superantispyware
    http://www.superantispyware.com/down...NTISPYWAREFREE

Make sure to update their definition files during the install process.
    Make sure to uncheck and decline to install any extras, such as toolbars and homepages, they may offer.
    Make sure to uncheck or decline to use the "Pro" or "Trial" version, if it's offered.
    After they're installed and updated, restart the computer.
    Run a quick scan with each one.
    After each quick scan is finished, select and remove EVERYTHING that was found.

5. PFHappy

PFHappy Thread Starter

The reason I did not use the SysInfo program directly was because I was not at that laptop. I am writing from a desktop. The laptop has problems typing, etc so I did the best I could answering the questions that were required as to it's system components.
    I deleted Spybot as you suggested. I would like to know why the unit is not booting up the touchpad? This is the problem at hand and very frustrating. Can't always use the touchpad and sometimes can't type either.
    I hope you can help.
    Thank you.... Pam

6. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
  7. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Pam,
    Do you have an Anti-Virus program? If not, use one of the one's mentioned above, they are free and well liked here.

8. PFHappy

PFHappy Thread Starter

Hello,

I finally got a hold of a USB keyboard and it is in place for testing purposes. When the keyboard on the laptop acts up, the USB keyboard will be used and I'll note the results.

Second, I ran a CheckDisk like you wanted. First, the one that comes with Windows that you suggested. Then I also ran Sea Tools for Windows - a hard disk checking CD that does basically the same thing. Checks for bad sectors, etc. Well both tests came up clean with no errors, nothing.

I wouldn't eliminate a bad hard drive yet. I've got all new software in there, so it can't be software (?) It would make sense that the trouble with the bad drivers happen when the laptop is moved from spot to spot, more than any other time... like maybe something gets jostled around... like a bad hard drive... like a laptop that was dropped. No, I didn't drop it but maybe someone else did and they didn't tell me...

I'll get back to you when the keyboard test is done. I've got the spare keyboard in place, ready to go when it acts up.
    Pam

9. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Sounds good, and please get yourself protected with an Anti-Virus program :)

10. PFHappy

PFHappy Thread Starter

Hello again,
    HERE'S MY TEST RESULTS

OK. When the touchpad icon does not boot up in the tray, the touchpad will not work. I can plug a USB mouse in and it seems to work fine.
    Part 2. When the touchpad icon does not boot up, the keyboard won't type properly. It types erratically, misses letters and drives you crazy. When you plug a USB keyboard in, it types fine.

Just to add to the complication, just a day ago, "every now and then" when Windows is booting up, I get the NTLDR file is missing message. If I reboot the computer, Windows boots up fine. So this just complicates things. This is a very recent message and may have nothing to do with the touchpad not booting. It just complicates the matter. Every now and then this message pops up, I reboot and restart Windows and it is gone and it boots fine.

I was wondering. I have an almost new laptop hard drive here. It is IDE though. Do you think it would be worth the trouble to get some sort of IDE/SATA adapter and reinstall Windows on this new HD?

Put on your thinking cap Ron. I will wait to hear from you.Thank you so much for hanging in there with me.
    Pam

11. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Pam,
    How long ago did you install this HD? Was all working properly after your Windows XP install? Are you all caught up to SP3 and all post updates? What about your Anti-Virus program? Please answer these questions for me and now that you can use a mouse and external keyboard, please run this and post results. http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

12. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    I had a dell d630 and if im not mistaken its a lot older than 4 years old as the E series latitudes have been out for quite awhile now. be that as it may the touchpad itself might have stopped working for various reasons.the fact that it takes a ide drive tells me its getting up there in age as most newer laptops take sata drives. there is a driver for the touchpad if it needs updated or missing its usually called the synaptics driver and its for the touchpad. check under dell support drivers and downloads for that model and you should see it listed.as far as the harddrive since its a laptop there is no adapter that can be used unless im missing something. it has to be an ide drive which are getting very hard to find.if all else fails please take it somewhere and have it looked at so you will know exactly what the problem is and can go from there.

13. PFHappy

PFHappy Thread Starter

Hi Ron,
    Here's the SysInfo you wanted:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7100 @ 1.80GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 1013 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 66001 MB, Free - 55438 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0KU184
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Disabled

The reason I reformatted the HD a week ago was because I was hoping to fix this problem. Within 1 day, it was back again. I was hoping it was just a corrupt file somewhere, but apparently not.

I see I need SP3. Is there a quick way to get these updates? Do you think I should ge them to cover all bases?

The Avast scan I just did came up clean. It was unable to scan about 100 files. Have you run across that before? I am not very familiar with Avast.

I do not know how old the hard drive is. I bought this laptop second hand. Would you like me to check and see what interface the HD has - either Sata or IDE?
    I haven't gotten that far yet. I do have a spare IDE hard drive for laptops, only about 3 months old, refurbished. It ran well, last time it was used about 1 month ago.

I'm ready for more instructions. Thanks again.
    Pam

14. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Service pack 3 is available as a download. its a 316 mb file. Download it and then install it.After that is installed there will be something like over 100 updates needed to download and install then you will be all set.If formatting didnt solve the problem then it should be checked out further to find out what the problem is.I can tell you that most likely its an IDE harddrive.to me it doesnt sound like a harddrive problem.You can put in the other harddrive but you will have to reinstall the operating system and all of the drivers all over again. im thinking at this point theres a fault with the touchpad because it has just plain failed or that a driver is needed to get it working again.i dont even use the touchpads in any of my laptops but use a usb corded mouse instead which works a lot faster.if the touchpad not working is annoying to you then again have it checked out to make sure thats the only problem.however if you need an external keyboard because the laptop one isnt working right that should be checked out also.

15. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Pam,
    SueOhio is right on and I am going to hand this over to her. Your in good company:) I agree with Sue, you need to get that up to snuff as far as SP3 and all post SP3 updates. As far as Avast goes, no, I have not had that happen to me on a scan.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!