1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: dell latitude

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by i am borg, Sep 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. i am borg

i am borg Thread Starter

hi

im a new member so im a little lost at the moment. i have a dell latitude 510 that wont start up. it has started once for me but then shut down again The lights come on 3 near the screen 2 down the side on the top and the network plug flashes i have replaced the memory,removed the battery and removed the dvd still no good any ideas

borg

2. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

how far into startup do you get before machine powers down?

3. i am borg

i am borg Thread Starter

hi
    lights flash then nothing the time it did start it got to the desk top just and then it shut down and hasn't started since

4. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

How long have you had the system?
    this could be a few things, overheating, faulty connection at hard drive or power adapter.

how far does the boot go if you remove the hard drive? just the same?

5. i am borg

i am borg Thread Starter

its a friends of mine so i don't know the true age but i've removed 1 thing at a time to see if it's a problem with the disc, hard drive or battery even tried it a new battery and it gets no further than the flashing lights.The fan dosen't start even the disc drive dosn't spin so i can't even try a xp disc to see if its the hard drive I have just noticed that there is a single click noise if thats any help

6. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

well since you have tried pretty much everything i would have tried up to now, all that really leaves us with is either the CPU has overheated and died, but even in this case the machine should technically still power on you just wouldnt get any display. and since the fan etc doesnt seem to be working, it sounds like the motherboard has left this world and went to that nice place all motherboards go when they pass.

to be honest aswell, replacing the board is a non starter, not too hard to do but the cost doesnt justify it. A new laptop would honestly be a better bet.

7. i am borg

i am borg Thread Starter

this is what i've told my friend but it narks me a little if i haven't tried evrything thank you for your time and the speed of your replies. I shall say a small prayer and send it on its way
    thank you once again

8. arknorth

arknorth

9. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

that has to be the cheapest dell main board ive ever seen for sale.
    cheapest i could pick these boards up for in the UK is £170 each and like i said for age of laptop, i really couldnt justify spending that amount, however if the website you listed ships to wherever needed then that price i would say was worth it.

Like i said before, the actual replacing of the board isnt too hard at all, just remember and keep track of all the screws lol.

10. arknorth

arknorth

It depends on the age and volume of stock on hand for these - and Dells, since they are business machines (normally), and they tend to have MILLIONS of them built, its not surprising that there are many parts guys out there stripping these beasties down. I used that one as an example - there may well be someone over there as well who does the same thing.

The trick with these sorts is to make sure that the parts are tested and good. Obviously, it doesn't do you any good if they simple send you a fried board, or one that has an error on it somewhere. Also, make sure you see that the specs are the same - for example, I have a Optiplex 160L that I've modified, but its MB has a limit of a P4 2.6MHz processor - online, there are folks who are upgrading the chips on their boards they sell so that I could techically drop a P4 3.2MHz Prescott onto it - Great if it works.

Buyer beware is proper here.

A-N

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/746457

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice