Solved: dell mbr partitions questions

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

johnn1949

E1505 2GHz dual core,2GB,ATI X1400 graphics, 80 GiG drive,XP Media Center.

disk partitions
47 MB FAT EISA PARTITION

67.50 GB NTFS PARTITION (media center edition)
2.O GB FAT32 MEDIA DIRECT LOGICAL PARTITION

4.98 GB FAT32 (restore?)
-----------------------------------------------
Disks I have:
Xp reinstallation disk
dell dignostics and drivers disk
Media Direct reinstallation disk

Gparted live cd
------------------------------------
I created Dell Mediadirect repair utility disk

Acronis True Image 10 installed with current complete operating system backup on external usb drive.(which I have not tried to use, say a prayer)
-----------------------------------

I want to end up with XP Media Center on one partition,or one with one logical,partition, so I can do an installation of of Ubuntu on a 20 GB partition. I don't really need MediaDirect but I would like the volume controls on the front panel to work when running window if possible.
-----------------------------------------
1. If I delete the eisa and restore partition will the MBR still be there so windows will boot up and dell direct still be there?

2. If I install ubuntu on a new partition and use the grub to dual boot, Will I then loose the Dell direct? if so is there any way to make the volume controls work?

3. Should I replace The Dell MBR (assuming the mediadirect won't work) with the XP MBR before I try the dual boot install.Can I do that by just running the xp Media center disk and repair MBR.

I plan to make a true image complete system backup of the hard drive when I get XP on one partition. Hopefully then I could install a different version of Ubuntu later if I wanted.

I have a toshiba (that only had one partition) running a dual boot so I understand that, but all this special Dell stuff really has me confused.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,John

johnn1949

some clarification

The reason I asked the first question is I'm just trying to avoid reinstalling all my prorgrams ,updates,documents,etc. I was hoping if I deleted the 2 dell partitions and the logical partition, I would end up with an xp partition that would still boot. Then I thought I could resize it with Gparted and then install ubuntu.

The Mediadirect a program to run media without booting windows but I think with out it the control bottons on the front of the computer (including volume,play,fast forward etc.) don't work.

The only difference in the mbr is the option to run the recovery partition which would be deleted anyway.That is why I asked if I should repair the mbr before insalling ubuntu.

I don't need media direct and I guess I can get along without the panel volume controls.

Why not just put in a second hard drive and install Linux there? This would save all of the trouble of resizing partitions etc.

johnn1949

good idea,but its a laptop,no room. I'm going to try a clean install and then add ubuntu.

Thanks, John

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online