1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dell Mini 1012 wont boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dundee64, May 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dundee64

Dundee64 Thread Starter

I own several Dell Mini 1012's, I like to use them when I'm traveling.
    I recently purchased a another one on Ebay, it was being sold as a parts computer.
    When I turned it on the power light came on and then the HDD activity light came on for about 10 sec. then went out. The screen never came on, I could feel a very light vibration of the HDD spinning. I left the computer like this for 30 minutes but nothing ever happened.
    I opened up the computer and changed the HDD with one I new was good and tried again, same results. I tried cleaning the contacts on the ram, still nothing, I swapped the ram from another mini 1012 and tried once to boot it up, nada. The ram from the new computer worked fine in the computer I swapped it with.
    I know just enough to get myself in trouble and I figure I'm getting close to that point.
    My next thought is the processor (Intel Atom N450 (1.66 GHz) or the mother board, but I have know idea what to look for or how to test.
    Any Ideas out there, or should I salvage the good parts and move on, I've only got $24.00 invested in this.

2. donetao

donetao Banned

Being sold on Ebay for parts should be a good clue. I guess it's how much time and money you want to spend. It sounds like your down to MB or processor!

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You could try the hard drive from the problem mini in a known working one to see if it's ok.

4. Dundee64

Dundee64 Thread Starter

I have bought several of the 1012's as "parts only, not working" and have managed to bring them back to life. I buy them for the parts and I know it's a crap shoot on weather I can resuscitate them.
    I have tried the HDD from the non working 1012 in another working unit and it works just fine, plus I put another working HDD in the non working unit and it doesn't work.
    My knowledge of software is very weak. Could a software glitch in Bios cause a problem like this and how would you load it if the computer wont boot in the first place?

5. renegade600

renegade600

did you try booting to a linux live disk or usb to see if it will run?

6. Dundee64

Dundee64 Thread Starter

Hi Renegade:
    I'm game to try, like I said I weak when it comes to software. I had a look at Linux downloads, there seems to be quite a variety. Any recommendations. I'll have to use a USB, do I just plug it in and try to start the computer.

7. renegade600

renegade600

8. Dundee64

Dundee64 Thread Starter

I have Linux on a USB, I plugged it in to the computer tried to start it and nothing. I even tried hitting F12 during the brief time the activity light is on, still nothing. I guess I'll just either salvage the parts or look for a unit with a broken screen but good MB and processor.

9. Dundee64

Dundee64 Thread Starter

If you look at my original post I did ask if there was away to test the MB or processor, I should have added, "without sophisticated equipment". I am quite aware that "broken, for repair or parts only", means, I am also aware that many people never look closely at their "broken" equipment and the fix is often simple and obvious. In this case it has stumped me after several days of Trying different avenues of testing. I was just hoping someone out they have had a similar problem and could advise me of something I hadn't tried. I thought that's what this forum was for. I bought this item knowing I was buying a pig in a poke, I just like to make sure I've tried everything I can before I salvage the good parts.

10. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

My apologies: I've had a bad week repairing stuff for friends that keep pestering and wanting to know if its there yet and I took it out on you.
    Try removing, cleaning and replacing the processor and heat sink. Can you try the processor in that other machine?
    I don't think the processor is dead since dead ones don't normally show any life at all. It does sound to me as though it is starting POST and dying.

11. donetao

donetao Banned

Hi Dundee64. Reading your replies, you pretty much narrowed it to MB or processor. I don't know of any way to test those without replacing with know good parts or with special equipment. You could look for blow caps on the MB. Make sure the CPU is seated properly.
    I don't think Dave meant any thing personal.
    Oops sorry Dave!!

12. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    I have deleted the off topic posts.

First, please don't report a post; or "suggest" to another poster to report another post, and then commence to addressing the issue in the public forum. Please just report the post and go back to the topic.

I agree the comment was out of line; and generally everyone should offer up sincere, useful assistance on any post.

With that said, and an apology from Dave, let's return to the topic. Please, if there are any other issues, let's use the report function or contact a moderator/admin privately.

13. Dundee64

Dundee64 Thread Starter

Dave: I think we both having a bad week, thank you for the suggestion about the processor, I was going to ask if that was feasible. I understand what posting is but what would prevent the posting is that usually a software glitch. Also looking for blow caps is a good idea, I should have thought of that myself.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No. There really is no software involved in the POST [well technically there is however it is not software in the manner in which you are thinking ie drivers, etc]

15. Dundee64

Dundee64 Thread Starter

Well I think I have my answer, The processor is soldered to the MB. I did remove the battery on the back of the board and left it out for 15 minutes. After installing the battery and putting the MB back in and re assembling the computer I turned the computer on, after about 10 seconds it started a repetitive 7 beeps. According to Dell's list of beep codes this means processor failure. Thanks to all for your suggestions, now I'll either salvage the useable parts or look for a reasonable priced MB.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148679

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice