1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dell monitor color is all messed up!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chris C., Jun 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chris C.

Chris C. Thread Starter

yikes, i just turned my Dell "Ultra Sharp" monitor on and out of the blue, the color is all wonky. it seems there is no red. i can only see blue/purple & yellowish (kind of neon/highlighter yellow).

i have no idea where to start trouble shooting. here's what i checked so far:

if i pull up the main monitor menu i can see red color on there. i tried different settings but it doesn't fix it.
    i tried pressing the factory pre-set for the color and that didn't change anything either.

my useless roommate used the computer before i got home and he said when he was using it, it was fine.

any thoughts on what to check/try/test??? any help would be greatly appreciated. i'm not super knowledgeable but i can follow instructions or answer any questions. i could do a screen shot but i have no idea if it would show up how i'm seeing it.

thanks in advance!!!!
    ~chris

edit: i took a photo of my screen with my phone and put it on photobucket...hope this helps
    [​IMG]

2. Chris C.

Chris C. Thread Starter

here's another one i took on george takei's fb page:

[​IMG]

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    If you're using a VGA cable check there are no bent over pins at both ends.

Whichever cable you're using try another cable if possible.

If that doesn't help then make a screenshot of the same webpage and post it here.
    Although you can't see it on your Monitor we can tell you if the SS looks ok.
    If it does the problem is the cable or the Monitor, if it doesn't the problem is your Video card.

To post a SS :-

Make the wanted window active then press the Print Screen key, open Paint (Start > (All) Programs > Accessories > Paint) click Edit then Paste then File > Save as, save it as a PNG file then upload it to Photobucket.

4. Chris C.

Chris C. Thread Starter

okay, this is seriously weird....i left the room for an hour to do something in the kitchen...i left the computer running because i was extracting some flac files from a gz (or whatever) file. when i came back, the monitor power was off. i turned it back on and now everything looks normal!

do video cards go unstable? nothing was moved around, so i'm skeptical it would be a bent pin. i haven't unplugged the monitor since i've gotten it.

thanks for the feedback, mr/ms managed :))

5. Chris C.

Chris C. Thread Starter

btw, i did try restarting the computer and turning stuff off and on before i bothered you-all with this...

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    Well hopefully it won't happen again but if it does let us know.

[Maybe Mr. Sulu had trouble with the Klingons ? ;) ]

If you're finished with this thread please mark it 'Solved' with the button on your webpage.

(It's Mr. 'Managed' btw)

7. Chris C.

Chris C. Thread Starter

haha thanks, Mr. Managed!

will mark solved...if it does happen again, i'll come back for more info.

thanks again!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1056850

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice