1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dell N5010 Shutting after runnning Updates

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by MzShondaPoo, Apr 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MzShondaPoo

MzShondaPoo Thread Starter

I have Dell N5010 in which is running on Windows 7 and today after not using the laptop for a few months I clicked it and I found out that there were a lot of updates in which needed to be installed, in which I did. After completeing the updates I wa sinstructed to restart it and when I cut it back on it will only tay on for a few mintues, does anybody have any ideas on what could wrong with it, because the laptop is only 2 years old and I hope I did not mess up with installing the updates!!!!!!!!:eek:

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

3. MzShondaPoo

Thanks,and I kind of figured that , it has happened before, about 6 months ago with another update but I cnat figure how will be able unstall the update if the laptop will not stay on long enough for me to enter the setup mode!

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

Boot to safe mode. Does the computer shut down?

RF123

5. rainforest123

rainforest123

6. MzShondaPoo

I will have to take and hook my external monitor because the screen on the Dell is cracked, so that is why I could not see the bios, but when I get from a little later I will attempt to restore the system and I will let you know what the outcome is, but I really appricate the help you and suggestions that you all have supplied me with those far. I also had another little problem before I updated the system and which is the reason that I applied the updates is because I needed the Java script and it seems liek the Java would not download correct so I decided to apply the other updates to see id maybe if I did then Java would also update correctly. Is there anything that I should know in regard to the reason that Javav may not be dowmloading correctly on the system?

7. rainforest123

rainforest123

Keep us posted.

RF123

8. MzShondaPoo

I have to wait until next week when I get the screen for the laptop because I was not able to get the external screen to pop while its in safe mode for some reason. buut I will respond as soon as I can, Thank you for the support!!

9. rainforest123

rainforest123

update, please

RF123

10. MzShondaPoo

Hello and I'm actully schduled to receive the new screen tomarrow thru Fedex deliver and I will update as soon I install and get the laptop on! Sorry that it has taken me so long but I had to wait to get my tax refund!

11. MzShondaPoo

Great news I finally received my screen and installed :). The system came right on and allowed me reboot, so I did not have to restore the system, but one thing that I just found out when I went on Face Book, is the fact that the Adobe Reader as well as Java Script will not work properly, even though the message pops that the downloads have been successful, does anyone have any ideas, why this could be happening?

12. rainforest123

rainforest123

Thanks for the update.

Which version of IE are you running? If IE10, when was it installed?
    Control Panel > upper right, select large icons
    Open "windows update"
    On the left, left click "view update history" or similar

Which version of Java is installed?

Which version of AFP is installed?

RF123

13. MzShondaPoo

It looks like the version Adobe flash player is: 11.7.700.169 and I uninstalled the Java so its not on there and I cannot tell which version of IE is on the system, but the system completed 38 updates yesterday after I got up and running.

14. rainforest123

rainforest123

Open IE
    On the right, 1" to 3" from the top of IE, look for a "?" within a circle. Left click it. Left click "About Internet Explorer".

Which version of IE are you running? If IE10, when was it installed?
    Control Panel > upper right, select large icons
    Open "windows update"
    On the left, left click "view update history" or similar

Create & post, as attachments, screen shots of your W7 update history. Please provide the history as far back as the date the problem began.

Screen Shot
    Use W7's snipping tool, or follow the instructions, below
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...e-screen-shots

or
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...snipping-tool/

screenshot

On your keyboard, look for a key labeled "print screen" OR "PrtSc" OR "PRN SCN" or some variation.
    When you want to capture that which is displayed, press the print screen button.
    Open Paint [ start > programs / all programs > accessories > paint [ rarely MS Paint]
    Maximize Paint
    left click "edit"
    Left click "paste"
    file > save as.
    Save the file to any location of your choice.
    File name: your choice, for example: "filename"
    save as type: left click down pointing arrow. Left click jpg / jpeg
    Left click "save" / "ok".

The file name has now been saved as filename.jpg [ or filename.jpeg ].

Return to the thread.
    Left click "go advanced".

Left click "manage attachments"
    left click "browse"
    browse to the location, on your computer, where you saved "filename.jpg"
    Left click filename.jpg
    left click "open"
    left click Upload"
    close window of upload screen after the file has been uploaded.

enter text into the reply area.
    left click "submit"

If there is information on the screen that you don't want to display, you can use the eraser [ looks like a bar of soap, left column, 2nd from the top. You can remove large areas by clicking on the dotted outline column button, top, right column, then drag your mouse while holding down left mouse button ] to surround that which you don't want displayed. Then, press "delete" on your keyboard. Then save.

Troubleshooting
    Start > programs or all programs > accessories > system tools > IE, no add ons

go to Facebook.
    IE will advise you that AFP wants to run. Allow AFP to run.
    Report the results.

If the problem persists, close IE.
    Boot your computer to safe mode with networking
    Tutorial at http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/666-advanced-boot-options.html

NOTE: Some wireless connections will not function using SF w/ N.

Open IE with no add ons.
    Go to FB.
    Permit AFP to run.

Report the results.

Uninstall AFP from the control panel's Programs & Features
    Start > control panel
    Upper right, select "large icons"

Reboot

Download the AFP uninstaller from http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player...n_Download_the_Adobe_Flash_Player_uninstaller

RIGHT click said uninstaller
    Left click "run as administrator"
    Reboot when the uninstaller has finished

Run the uninstaller again, using "run as administrator"

Reboot

Go to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
    Follow the instructions
    Decline / Do not accept the offer for Google Chrome install at this time.

Reboot

Open IE with no add ons.
    Allow AFP to run
    If successful, close IE with no add ons

Reboot
    Open IE
    Go to FB
    Test
    Report the results.

RF123

15. MzShondaPoo

I'm actually useing IE8 but that is only after I uninstalled IE10 yesterday because the IE10 would not allow me to log into work site, so one of fellow co-workers sent me email instructions on how to remove IE10 and install IE8, so that allowed the flash player and Java to install easily, but I would really liketo thank you for your help and support in getting the system back up and running properly and hopefully I will be able to pay this forward by helping someone, in the future!!!!! I really thnak you from the bottom of my heart!!!!!!!!!!!High five too you!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1096610

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice