1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dell N7110 not recognizing hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by april_showers, Oct 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. april_showers

april_showers Thread Starter

I have a dell inspriron 17r n7110. My hard drive was bad so I purchased a working hard drive. I took it apart and replaced the drive and made sure all connections were secure. Before I tried installing windows on the laptop I received the message BOOTMGR is missing press control+alt+delete to restart. So I restarted the laptop and used F12 to enter the boot menu. I chose boot from CD-RW/DVD drive. Windows loads all the files lets me select the language and agree to the terms. When it gets to the point to select a hard drive none is available. It prompts me to install a driver. I have verified the hard drive is being detected in the bios and after running all diagnostic and memory tests everything check out okay. The hard drive I installed is a Western Digital Blue 2.5 1tb laptop drive. I believe the model number is WD10JPVX. HELP!!! I need suggestions. I use this laptop for school and I am completely stumped by this one.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It sounds like the drive may have something on it. Did you choose the advanced options when it asked about where to install so that you could remove the partitions on that drive and create a new one?

3. april_showers

It does not recognize the hard drive to allow this option. It keeps asking for a driver which up until this point I have not been able to locate.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

It should not need a driver. That is an option but should not be necessary since the installation disk has them. What did you see for drives and partitions in the advanced options?

5. april_showers

There are no options because the hard drive is not showing up.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Where do you expect to see the drive? It will not appear as a possible location for an installation if it is already in use by having a non-compatible file system or a partition containing data. If it is in one of those states, you will need to prepare it so it can be seen as a possible installation location.

If you can't see how to do it in the setup program, you can make a bootable partitioning disk and see what is there from that.

GParted LiveCD partitioning tool

But I am assuming that you are installing Windows 7 or 8. If not, what operating system are you trying to install? What media are you installing from? Did it come with the machine?

Did you verify that the board on that drive would support a 1TB drive and is its size reported correctly in BIOS?

7. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

That last point is the important one. Windows install will ask about any disk in the system that is recognised, whatever the file system on it.

8. april_showers

I verified the motherboard would support the size hard drive before purchasing it. It was showing up as the correct size in the Bios. I have actually fixed the issue and have my laptop up and running. Thank you for the suggestions. I had to hook it up to my computer with an external enclosure, clean the disk with disk part and use drive manager to format the drive to NTFS. I installed it back into the laptop and windows recognized the drive and loaded as it should. Thank you or the suggestions.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1109722

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice