Solved: Dell optiplex 745 not working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ChapHMel

I have a Dell 745 Optiplex desktop that I would like to transfer the hard drive from my hp desktop as it has all my wanted files on it. The Dell came with XP Professional SP3 which I don't want and would like to put in my win 7 pro hard drive from my
hp desktop. When I plug in the hard drive from the hp computer, it won't even recognize it. Does Dell have some sort of a preventative device in it's motherboard that causes this?

I hate to re-install all the programs etc all over again. Is there some way to fool the Dell.

dustyjay

Jay
You cannot transfer installed programs from one computer to another, the programs will have to be installed on the second computer in the same way they were installed on the old computer. You can transfer data such as documents, pictures, Media files such as music or videos. Installation files for programs can also be transferred. It really has nothing to do with dell or hp but rather Windows itself. Does the drive show up at all on the dell? In Device Manager or Disk Management?

ChapHMel

I probably didn't make my problem very clear. Am referring to the HARD DRIVE that is in my hp desktop that I want to put into my Dell desktop. I remove the hard drive from the hp and plug it into the Dell and nothing. Put the hard drive back into the hp and everything works great. The hard drive is a standard unit and plugs into the dell fine, but for some reason the Dell motherboard can't see it. Was wondering if the Dell motherboard is programmed to reject anything other than what Dell put in it new.

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
Unlikely. Have you tried seeing if it is recognised in the BIOS set up. The BIOS has to recognise the drive first.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
So there's no misunderstanding, this is what you did?

Your Dell desktop is running Windows XP.

Your HP desktop is running Windows 7.

You removed the hard drive containing Windows 7 from the HP desktop and put it in the Dell desktop.

The Dell desktop doesn't recognize the hard drive and start up.

-------------------------------------------------------------

ChapHMel

Yes, removed the hard drive with win 7 from the hp PC and plugged it into the Del PC (after removing the original Dell hard drive) and the Dell motherboard doesn't see it. Both PC's work great with no problems. For some reason unknown to me, the dell doesn't like the hp hard drive and doesn't recognize it. Both PC's are excellent, but the Dell is really great for maintenance with easy replacement of all parts. The hp is a real pain to work with!

valis

dell makes different drivers from HP. Generally the OS will be tied to what system it was installed on, driver wise.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Yes, removed the hard drive with win 7 from the hp PC and plugged it into the Del PC (after removing the original Dell hard drive) and the Dell motherboard doesn't see it. Both PC's work great with no problems. For some reason unknown to me, the dell doesn't like the hp hard drive and doesn't recognize it.
Swapping a hard drive containing Windows 7 from a HP desktop and putting it in a Dell desktop isn't going to work because of the different motherboard, hardware, drivers, etc..

You need to reinstall Windows 7 in the Dell desktop.

----------------------------------------------------------

dustyjay

Jay
Not to mention that if the Win7 installation was Preinstalled on the HP it would be in violation of the EULA to use it on any other computer.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online