1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dell recover disk

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sundance2008, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sundance2008

sundance2008 Thread Starter

I have a old Dell XP machine someone gave me I want to redo for the grand kids. Is there anywhere to get recovery disks for older Dells (2001, Demension 4550)? Dell will not provide them past 1 year.

Thanks

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    its possible there maybe a hidden partition for recovery on the PC
    start>control panel>administrative tools>computer manager>disk manager >
    post a screen shot

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

3. surferdude2

surferdude2

Press the ctrl+F11 keys together when booting. That will give you the recovery access mode for many Dell's.

4. rosiesdad

rosiesdad

Any Dell XP cd will do, beg, borrow or....... buy one off ebay.

5. sundance2008

Get a pinging error noise when I try ctrl+f11.

Here is a screen shot.

Will head over to Ebay and see what I can find.

Attached Files:

6. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Before you head over to ebay, which is OK on many occasions, but as I am sure you know goes badly wrong on other occasions, when what you get is NOT what you thought you were ordering.

Can the machine boot into windows at the moment.
    As presuming windows is on c drive you have barely 10% free space.
    What is on F drive where there is unallocated space.

I think the exact model of the dell would help

7. sundance2008

I will do plenty of email to the seller before I buy, I have been doing business on ebay for a while. I am fully aware that what you see is often NOT what you get.

The system was given to me so I don't know what the heck is on this system or what they were doing with the drives. I know they have all kinds of sh.. installed and I am in the process of uninstalling sh.. right now. System was slow almost to the point of unusable when I got it and it's already speeding up just cleaning the drive. Next will be defrag.

Oh, and yes it boots up fine to XP.

8. Macboatmaster

If it is booting OK, why are you bothering about the recovery discs, as they will just put it back to the how it was originally.
    Your first and most urgent job is to increase that free space. 10% is the BARE minimum.
    If you have any doubt about the stability of the installation I would back up NOW.
    That all said , your reply suggests that you know what you are doing, so if you merely wanted to know about recovery discs would you please mark it solved.

If of course you have other questions please do not hesitate to ask.

9. sundance2008

Because there is no way I will ever find and delete all the crap this person has on it. It took over 4 min. to just delete the documents collected. The easiest way to recover the most amount of space is to wipe it with the recover disk and reinstall the OS.

OK, thanks ...solved.

10. Macboatmaster

Well - in that case - short of proceeding with a format and reinstall either using the recovery disc OR as suggested borrowing a dell disc and formatting and installing using of course the product key on the case WHY not do a drastic clean up
    Use ATF cleaner to get rid of all the temps, cache etc.
    Use ausologics defrag - far better than windows
    Use MBAM startup lite to prune all the startup entries.
    Delete the whole of the windows temp folder, AFTER establishing a restore point.
    The create a new user account for the children.
    Keep the admin acount and whatever it is on now with a password.
    AND then at your leisure work your way through the rubbish.

If you want the links just ask.

11. sundance2008

Yes, the links please. those tools I'm sure will make the task a bit easier.

So does your user-name imply as it seems, you are a Mac user as well?

12. Macboatmaster

No unfortunately not
    I have played with most from the days of dos to windows when it first came on the market.
    It is Mac - initials and boatmaster - I am a part-time skipper on a charter angling pleasure trip boat here in Wales.
    Links to follow on next post.

13. sundance2008

UK, Would love to visit the UK, but it so expensive. Just got back from Dubai a week ago and the $ spends well there. Loved it there, going back in April for a week.

14. Macboatmaster

ATF cleaner
    Check all boxes - but be aware it will delete any saved passwords on websites.
    http://www.atribune.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=25

Ausologics defrag.
    http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/download/
    Excellent - far better than windows - do NOT be tempted to use the registry cleaner on the site or the boost program - We do NOT recommend on TechSupportGuy any registry cleaners etc.
    DO A DISK cleanup first - checking all boxes with XP Programs Accessories, System Tools.

MBAM startup lite
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/startuplite.php

If you need anything else just come back.

15. sundance2008

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975075

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice