1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dell Tune-Up util

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by pcguy9441, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

I sprung for the $40 Dell tune-up util (aka Iolo System Mecanic) and it immedately fixed an intermintent bluescreen "won't boot" problem on a new Dell Vostro laptop, so I was pretty much won over. I know about the controversy about use or overuse of registry "cleaners", but in this case you can't argue with success.

Now the question. What happens in 12 mo when my 12 mo $40 license expires? Does the program turn into a pumpkin or continue working? If it continues working, why buy another license for $40 when I already have the program?

I have the same question about PC Tool's Registry Mechanic. When you buy this, if not careful you default to an infinite auto-renewal cycle where they ding your credit card for $30 every year till you die or you shut it off. I just shut it off and wonder it will just continue running. Seems to run fine so far 3 mo after killing the renewal.

Any insight to the Dell question? I really like the app, especially it's user interface,but if It's going to die on me in 12 mo, I may just get System Mechanic free with rebates from Fry's Electronics. Iolo does not play the auto renewal game.

I'd like to get some opinions on these auto-renewal schemes. They seem very scam like to me. If I buy a coffee maker, I don't pay for it again and again every year. If I want a new model (i.e., new and improved rev), then and only then do I pay again. Surly you can run a 2011 Win7 compliant rev of Registry Mechanic for 4-5-6 yrs if not longer without it going obsolete and crashing. Where's the logic in buying it again and again every year forever ???

Oh never mind, I just got the answer from P.T. Barnum. --- "There's a sucker born every minute"

2. DerekC

DerekC

The Difference, is your coffee maker doesn't need updates. In a year coffee will still be coffee.

It's just like Anti-virus software. Your license is paying for the updates, not for a year of program use. After a year your AV software will not stop working, but it will stop being effective against newer threats, things that it's not been updated to perceive as viruses.

If you have had luck with Regclean software, more power to you. But keep in mind, there are hundreds of thousands of programs out there. Each with it's own registry keys and settings. No one cleaning program knows them all, so it's only a matter of time before it deletes something that you need.

With all the windows updates and new programs being released, If you insist on using a regclean program, at least keep it up to date. At least that way, the program has a better chance of knowing some of the newer things that it shouldn't mess with.

3. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

Your point with AV apps is a good one since malware is being produced at a rate of something like 2 or 3 per minute 24/7, so clearly Semantic and others need an army of programmers to try to stay ahead of it (they can't but that's another discussion).

But for registry cleaners I'm not so sure the argument applies. It seems improbable registry cleaners contain "if than, else" code that differentiates registry entries from app to app to allow for near infinite exceptions. I'm not an expert here (though I was a computer programmer for many years) but I'm guessing they use models of how an "optimum" registry should look and search for exceptions to the rules. I do, however, buy the argument that they can make mistakes and delete the wrong stuff occasionally, although I have yet to crash a system with their use.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!