1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dell Vostro 3700 needs drivers not available from Dell

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alex Ethridge, Mar 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Dell Vostro 3700 Laptop running Windows 7 64-bit, Service Tag 4QD3ZM1.

NVidia identifies the display controller as GeForce GT 330M and gives the following message; but, there are no display drivers offered by Dell for this system, at least not by model or service tag numbers.

2. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

3. Alex Ethridge

Yes, and when you do change the OS to Win7 64-bit, Video disapears from the list.

I guess you missed that. Easy to do.

4. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

No it didn't for me. Beside the operating system drop down select the video driver only.

5. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

This shows it.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. Alex Ethridge

Yes, I found that driver earlier today and installed it; but, when I installed it (installed again just now), it asks me to select the software I want to install and the ONLY choice in HD Audio. I installed it again and still the only display adapter listed in Device Manager is "Standard VGA Adapter" and the only resolutions available are 800x600 and 1024x768.

7. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

It unzips to your c drive in a folder named Dell. Open that and look for R292859. Open that and in there is a sub folder named Display. Open that and your display setup exe is located.

8. Alex Ethridge

Thanks for your help; but, it appears there are drivers needed for this system that Dell, for some reason, seems to want to keep a secret about. I found (via Google) that there are a LOT of prople having trouble with this system due to some kind of dual graphics that Dell seems to not support (its own hardware). I found nthat one must install an Intel HD Graphics driver before installing the driver offered on thge Dell Drivers page.

Here's the page where I found the Intel HD Graphice driver:
    http://ftp.dell.com/Pages/Drivers/vostro-3700.html#Video

It's at the bottom of the page.

9. Alex Ethridge

That driver has no function without the Intel HD Driver mentioned above, which Dell has seemingly chosen to not mention on their Drivers page for this system.

Go figure, laziness, I guess. They got our money; what do they care.

10. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

I hope it works out for you! I agree that they offer little help on some things.

11. Simba7

Simba7

Truthfully, the latest nVidia drivers always worked for me on nVidia's site.

12. Alex Ethridge

Yes, for most things; but, if you attempt to install a driver from the NVidia site on this system, I get a message that there is no supported hardware found and then it aborts. Se initial post for further information.

I'm now showing two video display controllers in System Device Manager, one is an Intel and the other is Standard VGA. This is a real bad problem that Dell has left its users to solve on their own.

13. Alex Ethridge

I finally solved the "Standard VGA" problem with the driver labeled "nVidia Geforce GT 330M-Switchable, v.189.99, A02" for Windows 7 64-bit on this page: http://ftp.dell.com/Pages/Drivers/vo...700.html#Video

I now have two display adapters in Device Manager , an Intel and an NVidia. That is what it is supposed to be.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1092279

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice