Solved: Dell XPS Windows 7 64-bit won't boot past classpnp.sys file

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Poetrygrl

Hello,

I've been scouring the internet trying to fix a boot issue with my Dell XPS 420. It worked fine last week but on Saturday started to blue screen. I installed a new HD and installed a fresh copy of Win7 64-bit. I reinstalled my ATI video drivers but nothing else (e.g. I had to update a load of codecs for Win7 on the other install). I tried booting again from the original hard drive and everything came back with no errors. I left the PC up overnight, and now I get the same blue screen with various errors.

So I disconnected from that hard drive and tried to boot from the fresh install, now it blue screens there as well. So I hit F8 and tried to boot in Safemode with Networking. Hangs at the casspnp.sys file. Then tried to boot from the DVD and repair but the repair only gets so far and yet another blue screen.

I have 8gb of RAM onboard, and I have an ATI 2400 video card installed that is jacked into a Panasonic plasma display. Other than that, I've not customized anything else. I've ruled out the RAM as I swapped it out. Could be the DVD as it was having what appeared to be I/O issues. However, it seems to work fine with I press F12 and boot from the DVD.

I have this PC connected to a Port Authority KVM. I've reset the KVM as well. I also have a USB hub in the mix as well. I reseated my RAM, the DVD cables.

Any help is much appreciated. This is my media center PC, need to workout!! If you help me out, it'll help me get in shape!!:D

Thank you in advance.

Poetrygrl

Hello Poetrygrl and Welcome to TSG!

Please go to C:\Windows and look for a folder minidump. Copy the folder to the desktop and compress the folder using Winzip, Winrar or 7-Zip 7-zip Preferred And upload to this post. How To: Click Go Advanced, Scroll down to Manage Attachments.

I've been scouring the internet trying to fix a boot issue with my Dell XPS 420. It worked fine last week but on Saturday started to blue screen. I installed a new HD and installed a fresh copy of Win7 64-bit. I reinstalled my ATI video drivers but nothing else (e.g. I had to update a load of codecs for Win7 on the other install). I tried booting again from the original hard drive and everything came back with no errors. I left the PC up overnight, and now I get the same blue screen with various errors.

So I disconnected from that hard drive and tried to boot from the fresh install, now it blue screens there as well. So I hit F8 and tried to boot in Safemode with Networking. Hangs at the casspnp.sys file. Then tried to boot from the DVD and repair but the repair only gets so far and yet another blue screen.
Did you install W7 on the new HDD?
ONLY the ATI drivers?
How about chipset?

Please read
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps420/en/OM/HTML/setting.htm

What's the display of Dell's diag lights?

NOTE: It is recommended, for optimized performance, that you install the hardware drivers in the following order:

Desktop System Software

Chipset or SMBus driver

Processor Driver (if applicable)

Video

Audio (sound)

Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)

Modem (Desktop computers have a separate CD for the modem)

Network Card
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps420/en/OM/HTML/trouble.htm#wp1097272

Sonnets or haiku or ballads?

RF123

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...sspnpsys/60391978-7fba-4afa-8c6b-c2dd8fc316d9

Interesting. Did some more digging. Turns out that while everyone seems to think the boot is stalling at classpnp.sys, it is in fact stalling at the NEXT file in the boot sequence, which is cdrom.sys (in my case, anyway). That makes a bit of sense. In my case, there was a DVD drive while I installed and configured. It was in a docking base. In normal use, there is no dvd drive (it is a Thinkpad, which has no internal drive), and if I configure a boot log, the system reports that cdrom.sys did NOT load.

Given the fact that when it failed to boot the repair option claimed that the boot failed because a resource was not available, perhaps the BIOS was reporting a cdrom was available but the system could not find it?

But I'm just guessing. I wish that Microsoft would weigh in on this one. It has been going on for a long time if you Google for it.

Paul
MANY hits, when using this search string:
classpnp.sys boot problem

RF123

classpnp.sys had problems with W 2000.

I found no hits during the 01 Jan 2010 - 03 Feb 2013, specific to W7, at support.microsoft.com

RF123

Poetrygrl

Hello Poetrygrl and Welcome to TSG!

Please go to C:\Windows and look for a folder minidump. Copy the folder to the desktop and compress the folder using Winzip, Winrar or 7-Zip 7-zip Preferred And upload to this post. How To: Click Go Advanced, Scroll down to Manage Attachments.
Hi Lance, thank you so much for responding as I'm aware others have posted similar issues. I would gladly copy the mini dump but I cannot get to it. I cannot even bring up the drive at this point. Either of them actually. Thoughts?:(

Poetrygrl

Did you install W7 on the new HDD?
ONLY the ATI drivers?
How about chipset?

Please read
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps420/en/OM/HTML/setting.htm

What's the display of Dell's diag lights?

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps420/en/OM/HTML/trouble.htm#wp1097272

Sonnets or haiku or ballads?

RF123
Hi Rainforest (hmm are you the infamous RainForestPuppy perchance?)

Yes I installed Win7 64 bit on the new HD. I also installed all Windows updates as well. The new drivers I installed were from ATI. I did not install any new chipsets. Actually this past week the only new updates/installs were the ATI is I remember correctly ;-)

Sonnets and ballads ;-) I just like to read them.

Thank you so much for replying.:)

this might be a link to the same Microsoft forum thread that I mentioned in #8.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...sspnpsys/60391978-7fba-4afa-8c6b-c2dd8fc316d9
Let’s follow these methods and check if it helps.

Method 1

You may contact your computer manufacturer and try updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System) then check if the issue persists.

Note: Modifying BIOS/ chipset incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/chipset can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Method 2

You may follow the steps suggested in this link and check if the issue persists.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...l/thread/566cdd43-ce91-4e64-93e0-8d09d8fc1ea0

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there.

Method 3

You may also follow this link and check if the issue persists.

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows
OK _ I ran into this problem today. Apparently classpnp.sys is a Microsofts SCSI driver but the problem was to actually get to the root cause of this problem I had to turn off automatic reboot on system hang in the F8 startup options. Nothing else I tried geve me a reasonable lead to an answer. I could not get into safe mode, but I could try startup repair but this didn't help as the problem is a hardware driver, not software.

Eventually after turning off automatic reboot I got a BSD which at least pointed to the driver for my Atto Celerity Fibre card being the culprit. Removing this card allowed the system to boot normally. Either the card or driver is corrupt but ... at least I have a place to start.

In my opinion this insane urge to "hide" problems from the user has led to this being one of the most difficult problems to track down, even for a savvy computer user like myself. Microsoft need to develop a reporting system tha tinforms hte user exactly where hardware problems lie - in htis case a log of the failing driver that popped up on the next boot would have been sufficient to identify the problem hardware. So simple and yet so obtuse - Microsoft hit yourself over the head with a 2x4 at least 10 times until the message gets through - abstraction layers are no good when problems are involved.

I'm pretty sure what is happening is that classpnp.sys actually loads any third party SCSI drivers like raid cards, fibre cards, legacy CD drives etc - that is what makes this a difficult problem to track down. Could be a failing hard drive, a dead CD ROM controller or a problem raid card etc
Please read this for information about a startup repair.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/681-startup-repair.html

RF123

Poetrygrl

Yes I tried start-up repair, I tried last known good config, I tried fixing by booting from Win7 DVD as well. This is not a new install, has been working fine mostly. No new hardware except for a cam I installed via the USB hub. I've unplugged that CAM from the hub just in case :rolleyes:

Poetrygrl

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online