1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dell XPS Windows 7 64-bit won't boot past classpnp.sys file

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Poetrygrl, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Poetrygrl

Poetrygrl Thread Starter

Hello,

I've been scouring the internet trying to fix a boot issue with my Dell XPS 420. It worked fine last week but on Saturday started to blue screen. I installed a new HD and installed a fresh copy of Win7 64-bit. I reinstalled my ATI video drivers but nothing else (e.g. I had to update a load of codecs for Win7 on the other install). I tried booting again from the original hard drive and everything came back with no errors. I left the PC up overnight, and now I get the same blue screen with various errors.

So I disconnected from that hard drive and tried to boot from the fresh install, now it blue screens there as well. So I hit F8 and tried to boot in Safemode with Networking. Hangs at the casspnp.sys file. Then tried to boot from the DVD and repair but the repair only gets so far and yet another blue screen.

I have 8gb of RAM onboard, and I have an ATI 2400 video card installed that is jacked into a Panasonic plasma display. Other than that, I've not customized anything else. I've ruled out the RAM as I swapped it out. Could be the DVD as it was having what appeared to be I/O issues. However, it seems to work fine with I press F12 and boot from the DVD.

I have this PC connected to a Port Authority KVM. I've reset the KVM as well. I also have a USB hub in the mix as well. I reseated my RAM, the DVD cables.

Any help is much appreciated. This is my media center PC, need to workout!! If you help me out, it'll help me get in shape!!:D

Thank you in advance.

Poetrygrl

2. Lance1

Lance1

Hello Poetrygrl and Welcome to TSG!

Please go to C:\Windows and look for a folder minidump. Copy the folder to the desktop and compress the folder using Winzip, Winrar or 7-Zip 7-zip Preferred And upload to this post. How To: Click Go Advanced, Scroll down to Manage Attachments.

3. rainforest123

rainforest123

Did you install W7 on the new HDD?
    ONLY the ATI drivers?
    How about chipset?

Please read
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps420/en/OM/HTML/setting.htm

What's the display of Dell's diag lights?

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps420/en/OM/HTML/trouble.htm#wp1097272

Sonnets or haiku or ballads?

RF123

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...sspnpsys/60391978-7fba-4afa-8c6b-c2dd8fc316d9

MANY hits, when using this search string:
    classpnp.sys boot problem

RF123

5. rainforest123

rainforest123

classpnp.sys had problems with W 2000.

I found no hits during the 01 Jan 2010 - 03 Feb 2013, specific to W7, at support.microsoft.com

RF123

6. Poetrygrl

Poetrygrl Thread Starter

Hi Lance, thank you so much for responding as I'm aware others have posted similar issues. I would gladly copy the mini dump but I cannot get to it. I cannot even bring up the drive at this point. Either of them actually. Thoughts?:(

7. rainforest123

rainforest123

8. rainforest123

rainforest123

9. Poetrygrl

Poetrygrl Thread Starter

Hi Rainforest (hmm are you the infamous RainForestPuppy perchance?)

Yes I installed Win7 64 bit on the new HD. I also installed all Windows updates as well. The new drivers I installed were from ATI. I did not install any new chipsets. Actually this past week the only new updates/installs were the ATI is I remember correctly ;-)

Sonnets and ballads ;-) I just like to read them.

Thank you so much for replying.:)

10. rainforest123

rainforest123

this might be a link to the same Microsoft forum thread that I mentioned in #8.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...sspnpsys/60391978-7fba-4afa-8c6b-c2dd8fc316d9
    Please read this for information about a startup repair.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/681-startup-repair.html

RF123

11. rainforest123

rainforest123

12. Poetrygrl

Poetrygrl Thread Starter

Yes I tried start-up repair, I tried last known good config, I tried fixing by booting from Win7 DVD as well. This is not a new install, has been working fine mostly. No new hardware except for a cam I installed via the USB hub. I've unplugged that CAM from the hub just in case :rolleyes:

13. Poetrygrl

Poetrygrl Thread Starter

14. Lance1

Lance1

Rainforest... Well.. are you. (y)

15. Poetrygrl

Poetrygrl Thread Starter

BTW, guys, I ran the diag test and the keypad test failed, bummer.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089023

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice