1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dell XPS Windows 7 64-bit won't boot past classpnp.sys file

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Poetrygrl, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rainforest123

rainforest123

I suggest the following steps for changing your ATI driver.
    Download the driver you want to install.
    Download Driver Sweeper from Guru3D & install it.
    http://www.guru3d.com/content_page/guru3d_driver_sweeper.html

Control panel > programs & features; remove / uninstall ATI graphics driver
    Boot to safe mode
    Run Guru3D
    Install new driver
    Boot to normal mode

I have a Dell Vostro computer. I began receiving BSODs referencing the nVidia graphics driver.
    I downloaded the latest nVidia graphics driver from Dell.
    Followed the steps above.
    Same problem
    Downloaded the latest graphics driver from nVidia; followed the steps above; same problem.

I downloaded an older driver from nVidia; followed the steps above; NO BSODs! :D

Best of success.

Keep us posted.

RF123

2. Poetrygrl

Poetrygrl Thread Starter

I will try this. I just finished a workout, 60 minutes, no BSODs. :D

I have also noticed BSODs as I've been installing all the MS recommended updates as well. I'm going to install them one-by-one to determine which one is causing my system to blue screen. I'll post the lastest dump log as well.

Thank you:)

3. Poetrygrl

Poetrygrl Thread Starter

Here is the latest minidump. Will try to fix the driver problem I also submitted a trouble ticket with AMD. Thanks for all of your help. Now to figure out what AV I want.

Attached Files:

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

P girl:
    If you provide the minidump as a .zip, I will be glad to analyze it.

I'm not trying to be difficult. I don't do .7z & .rar .
    RIGHT clcik the file. Left click "send to"
    Left click "compressed [ zipped ] folder"

Excellent idea.

BSODs after a format & fresh install concerns me.

Which hardware diags have you run during the past 45 days? Please provide approx dates.
    #15 of this thread.
    Have you fixed it?

Which diags? Dell's from their boot menu?

Please report the status of the diag lights, that I had mentioned, #3.
    You, #32
    Did you replace the DVD drive?

You, #41.
    Have you replaced the HDD & ram?

I suggest that you run the HDD from the HDD manufacturer & the ram diag [ memtest86+ ] run memtest86+ for at least 8 hours or until an error appears.

Is this your computer?
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps420/en/OM/HTML/setting.htm

RF123

5. rainforest123

rainforest123

6. Mark1956

Mark1956

Just thought I would jump in and analyze the Crash Dump. It is dated 22nd February, have you had any more? It shows Pool Corruption which is usually a driver or faulty memory.

As you have replaced the hard drive and DVD drive/s and done a clean install (I assume that's what you did or was it from an image back up) the most likely cause will be due to other drivers that you have added or faulty RAM.

The system shows as still being on Windows 7 without Service Pack 1 being installed, go to this link and follow the instructions to install the whole package in one go, it will save a lot of time as it includes all previous updates. How to install Windows 7 Service Pack 1

When Windows is completely up to date lets see if any more BSOD's occur, post the Crash Dumps as they happen.

What RAM have you got installed, I suspect you have more than one stick so if the BSOD's still happen remove all but one of the sticks and continue running the system to see if you get any more crashes, if you do swap the sticks around. Continue until all sticks are tested. You cannot assume just because the RAM passed a diagnostic test that it is 100%, I've seen RAM pass tests before only to find, using the above method, that a stick was faulty.

If that doesn't find the RAM is to blame then I can post instructions to run the Driver Verifier.

7. Poetrygrl

Poetrygrl Thread Starter

Hi Mark, ding ding ding and you win the prize!:D Whooo hooo. I had multiple problems and here is the fix:

1) I had Cosair RAM, 4 sticks to be exact; they've been replaced. Oddly enough they tested clean the first two times I ran diags. The mini screen on my XPS showed a BAD RAM error LOL
    2) I had a defective DVD player which also causes issues; I've replaced that player and am running dual DVD players which is great
    3) Catalyst Control Center (CCC) from AMD put out a bad package. There are people all over having BSODs as it appears to be stepping on the .NET files during install.

Here is what I did to fix:
    1) Installed a fresh copy of Win7 64-bit
    2) Installed all service packs and hot fixes
    3) Allowed Windows to install a native video adapter driver
    4) Went to device manager and removed the adapter
    5) Went to the AMD site and downloaded the latest drivers for my new video card
    5) Rebooted
    6) Ran the AMD install using the custom install and deselected the sound driver and rebooted

I've been running clean ever since. I did get one notice that the SP wasn't install after I installed CCC. I allowed the conflict to resolve itself and allowed the updates to install via Windows update without my intervention.

Thanks for the post, it came in just as I figured out the bad RAM!. (y)

8. Mark1956

Mark1956

You're welcome and glad to hear you got it resolved.

9. rainforest123

rainforest123

Poetrygirl:
    Congratulations!

It is common for hardware failure to be preceded by intermittent function and intermittend failure.

Thanks for posting the steps that resolved your computer issues.

When satisified with the status of the computer, please mark your thread solved.

unsubscribed

RF123

10. Poetrygrl

Poetrygrl Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help(y)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089023

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice