1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dell's suck

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by clutter34, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. clutter34

clutter34 Thread Starter

ok this is what happened, my friend changes a video card with a different video card and then there is no picture on the monitor, the monitor is fine cause I put it on another computer, and so is the video card because I did the same, I am running out of ideas what should I do?

2. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

I have never really understood how the verb suck attained a negative connotation in the vernacular.

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    1) Did you check if the new video card needed to have drivers installed to work correctly?

2) Did you try booting in safe mode just in case the card had the correct drivers but was outputting an incompatible video format for the given monitor for a normal boot up?

3) Try using a subject line in your posts that relates to the problem that requires help. Some busy TSG member that knows how to fix video card problems and could help you, may not bother to open a post that sounds like someone is venting over some unknown issue with a particular computer manufacturer.

4. clutter34

clutter34 Thread Starter

how can I boot it in safe mode if I can not even see the picture

5. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Every video supports basic resolutions to get through the POST screens and get you into Windows.

If you can't see anything, then the video card is either physically installed wrong or it's broken.

What brand / model video card is it?
    If it's a new PCI-Express type card, did you plug in the extra power connector? (if it has one)
    What is the brand / model / specs of the PSU (power supply unit)?

6. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Sorry for the confusion. I should have asked first if you had video during the initial power up (thank you JSanguancheu for the clarification) and then went away at the start of Windows.

Does the computer seem to try to boot up normally except for the video (keyboard lights blink, fans start up, POST Beep if internal speaker is connected, HD activity light blinks)?

7. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

no problem cw. :) Just wanted to get the resolution "ball" rolling..

8. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

I think this is gonna be one of those "I installed the newest/greatest video card in my (brand name manufacturer) PC but forgot to check the power requirements and current PSU" issue.

9. clutter34

clutter34 Thread Starter

it is an ati agp slot card but before that it had what my friend took out which was an nivida agp slot card, and yes the keyboard lights come on but I did notice that after pushing the power button once it comes on then goes off then comes right back on with no beeping or nothing

10. clutter34

clutter34 Thread Starter

It most certainly was not the best and greatest card the card that was in it before was of a higher caliber than the one my friend just decided to put in, so I am guessing that my agp slot must be fried

11. reddwarf1387

reddwarf1387

what is the card that your friend put in the comp IE (radeon 9550) here are the specifications for your friends comp

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4550/specs.htm#1101572

as you can see it only has a 250 watt psu. sometimes an older vid card can still have less power requirements than an older one. (not often but i've seen it) put the other vidcard back in to make sure the AGP slot is still good.

thanks and let me know what you find

12. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

What kind of monitor is he using?

I keep an old CRT around just for this type of problem.

13. reddwarf1387

reddwarf1387

good idea with the crt, and welcome to the site good to have you

14. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Since the monitor works fine on another computer, trying yet a different monitor isn't likely to resolve anything. A simple way to resolve this is to put the old video card back in. Hopefully that's the problem, and the motherboard or power supply weren't damaged during the installation.

15. clutter34

clutter34 Thread Starter

the monitor is crt, and I put the old grapics card in and there was still nothing so I think that my next plan of action is to aquire a pci slot video card and see if that works, is this a good plan of action or is there someother way I don't know about, and thank you guys for the help so far

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758953

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice