1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Denied Access To Folder

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by JerthoGillgren, Jan 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JerthoGillgren

JerthoGillgren Thread Starter

I Keep Getting 'You Have been denied permission to access this folder' when i try to open my User area from my backup of vista (i've just clean installed Windows 7). It instructs me to go to the 'security tab'. I only have the 1 administrator username, and it's already checked as 'full controll'.

Other places have told me to do this :
    - Click Start
    - Type: cmd
    - Right-click cmd when it appears
    - Click Run As Administrator
    - Change location to the folder you need access to (e.g. cd e:\folder)
    - Type: takeown /F . /R /A /D Y > NUL
    - Type: icacls . /grant USER:(OI)(CI)(F) /L /T /Q
    (Where USER is your username - you will only have access from your
    XP and Vista machine in this case)
    (Or, replace USER with Users if you want anyone [on any computer
    your hard drive is plugged into] to have full access to these files)

But it's not done anything, despite working for others. Anyone Think of any other solutions? I've attatched screenshot of what I tried in case i went wrong. Other thread is pretty dead which is why im reposting over here.

Thanks so much for any help, all my important files are inside there.

Attached Files:

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Try using "cacls" instead.

Do not run it from within the directory whose files and folders you are trying to change if you do not have full control over that directory itself; the path TO the directory must be in the command line along with the appropriate switches to change all files and subfolders within the parent directory.

http://ss64.com/nt/cacls.html
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5210173_change-file-permissions-command-line.html

You used ICacls, I've not seen that before, but my reading of the wasssup is that you must have Full Control yourself, first, to use it to change permissions for others

http://ss64.com/nt/icacls.html

3. JerthoGillgren

sorry i'm completedly new to anything programming, im not even sure if im changing the folder location properly.
    Could you say what exactly to type? after cmd opens saying c\windows\system32\ ?
    It's F:\Users\jethro which makes the error appear, and my username is Jethro.

Thanks so mcuh for your time
    Jethro

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I think this will work:

CACLS f:\users\jethro /E /T /C /G "jethro":F

edit, forgot the colon, don't you forget.

5. JerthoGillgren

No Luck, It just says it can't find the path. I've attatched a screenshot. The backup was done with Macrium Reflect Backup thingy and it produced a load of 'Disk Pardition image's which, once clicked, made this F Drive open with all my files. Don't know if that's abnormal or loading to the problem...
    Any Ideas; thanks for your help soo far.

Attached Files:

• 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      45.5 KB
      Views:
  6. JerthoGillgren

I tried again, i think after you edited, and i got 'the media is write protected'

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

You might take a look at SetACL at Sourceforge if you do this type of thing much. Copy it to system32 so it will be in your path. It is really a very versatile tool.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It can't find the path because you grabbed my post before I edited it, going by the screenshot.

Re-read it and be sure to include the colon after f:

If you still get an error, leave off the /c and that should tell you what it is failing on. It may only be some files and not others.

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

John, if he booted with a Linux boot disk, would he still have those permissions problems? Could the data be copied out perhaps to a Fat32 drive?

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

There may still be permissions in Linux. But the UBCD4Win has no permissions problems at all. If they got copied to FAT32, that would be fine. But you need to ask a Linux person about specific distros. I think I changed permissions in Knoppix in the properties page for a folder, but I may be wrong about what OS it was.

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Okeydoke, UBCD4win may be the way to go if it's just a matter of getting these files to a readable format and everything else fails; a useful utility to have around in any case.

12. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Try this. There may be other reasons why you cannot access the folder, but the reg modification here introduces a right click option to take ownership of any file or folder. Saves a bit of typing in the command prompt. Don't use it too freely, some folders are not meant to be opened (Documents and settings, for example)

Attached Files:

13. JerthoGillgren

I tried it without the /C and it still says that media is write protected.
    I also trie the TakeOwnership program but the problems still the same. Thanks Davehc though.

THe UBCD4win sounds confusing but i'll start downloading it now...

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

What exactly is the "F: " drive we are dealing with here -- is it a physical drive or partition, or is it an optical disk drive with media that you have backed up on an optical disk?

If that's the case -- then yes, it is "write protected" and you have to copy it to a physical drive or partition to edit any access control list .

15. JerthoGillgren

I don't normally have the F Drive; it's created by the program that did my backup.
    WHen i did the backup, i got a load of 'disk partition image' files, a few dozen of them. When i double click on them the program, macrium reflect, handles it and windows explorer opens up with this F Drive. I can get to the drive by going through my computer aswel.

Im not using any Optical Discs
    Im trying to copy the contents of this F Drive back onto my Hard Drive now, which is claiming 6 hours estimated time. I'll reply when/if it completes.

I've put a screenshot of what happens when i open the backup files.. Im guessing it's not normal for another drive to open up then?

Thanks again for the help
    Jethro

Attached Files:

• 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      97 KB
      Views:
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/893983

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice