1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Denied access to folder...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ss_anan, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ss_anan

ss_anan Thread Starter

I shared a folder on my LAN network, (University hostel). after that i "unshared" it. shared it by right clicking, security and sharing, share this folder on network,did not allow users to modify contents. there might have been a problem while setting permission. the problem is, after i "unshared" it, i have no modification access to the folder. i can access it though to view my files. but i cant create a new folder, rename a new folder, or modify files within the subfolders. FYI its my Games folder. i found out abt this when i wasnt able to save my games cos the error said that the program was denied access. i am the admin on the pc n i still cant modify it. Win Xp SP3. usin AVG IS 9.0 . simple sharing is enabled. have shared the folder b4. had no problems. till a couple days ago. tried system restore to no effect.
    Additional Details

can delete a folder..(regretting it)...but cant restore it from recycle bin...says check if disk is full or write protected.

2. funguy123us

funguy123us

Try taking the ownership of that folder.
    Goto Security -> Advanced -> Owner
    If you are admin on your PC, you should be able to take ownership. After that you should be able to modify that folder.

3. ss_anan

ss_anan Thread Starter

thk u funguy...i did some reading on it myself while waiting for a reply...managed to get it done by checking the inherit from parent folder box...thx anyhow..guess case closed. cheers.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920694

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice