Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Deskjet 5550 won't print properly

876 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  pandofel 
#1 ·
Moved my HP Deskjet 5550 from win 98 to XP using a parallel to USB cable. Obtained latest drivers and installed. Test print and calibration both correct but won't print out anything but first centimeter on page before ejecting in any other application. Print preview (even the HP supplied one) shows one page correctly but print queue lists it as 3 pages!

Is this to do with XP the cable or what? Have uninstalled and reinstalled - same problem. Have checked page set up in application and printer and all appears correct.

Can't understand why test page correct but nothing else!

Any help welcome!

#2 ·
Umm... okay, when you say 'parallel to USB', do you mean a USB/Parallel adaptor? If so, why not just use a USB cable, since the 5550 has an either/or system? (I have 2 of these machines, one of which is plugged into two computers - one through the parallel, one through the USB.)

Remember though, since the 5550 has both jacks available, you have to chose which setup to use when doing so. If you are using a parallel to parallel hookup, the printer has to be plugged into the parallel jack and powered on while the software is being installed. If you're trying to plug it in via a USB to USB connection, you must install the software BEFORE plugging the machine into the USB jack - the install will tell you when to plug it in. If you are using a USB/Parallel adaptor, ITS OWN software must be installed first. The adaptor then needs to be plugged into the computer, and THEN you plug the printer into the adaptor and power it up, followed by installing the software via the Parallel to Parallel method.

Now, the other thing to remember is to either use the 5550's install disk to remove the software, or simply delete the 5550's icon from the Printer's and Faxes listing on your Control Pannel. I do NOT reccommend using "Add or Remove Software" for printers, since this program can remove too much, such as registry information from Windows.

Good luck!

A-N

#3 ·
Oops hadn't noticed the usb connection. I'd just used the cable I'd used to connect the old Brother laser to the laptop - it has usb on one end and a parallel connector on the other - works fine with the laser. Anyway, all is now working well THANK YOU very much. I'll use my eyes in future!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.