1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Deskjet USB printer doesn´t install correctly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HarshMellow, Mar 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HarshMellow

HarshMellow Thread Starter

Hello!

I´m a newbie here, and doesn´t know too much how does function this site, I´ll try to help where I can, but I came here to ask something that is bothering me.

I´ve just bought an Epson Deskjet USB printer (C42 UX) and installed it correctly (it worked alone, when "filling itself")... The problem is using it under my Windows 98 SE OS.

First, I had no USB ports, so I bought also a PCI to USB card adapter and installed it and Win98 could detect it OK.

Second, I tried letting the printer turned on and booting the system. It detected something and installed an "unknown device".
    It seemed not important, so I installed the drivers of the printers... but when the driver installation tried to check the printer port it didn´t detect it, and I couldn´t detect it ever since.

After this, I have tried a lot of things... Checking the BIOS to disable any unused port/device... enable anything related to USB (which I had to disable again, ´cause seemed to be an *onboard USB port*, but as it didn´t have the actual ports, I didn´t see).
    I also tried to remove the "unknown device" and turn on/install the printer after the boot. And also install it via control panel... but nothing worked.

I tried checking with the Epson support here, but they´ve said that it is a problem with the USB port, so they couldn´t help.
    Windows won´t let me install any driver from the Epson CD directly for this device... it says "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware".

What could I do? Any hint? Thnx in advance!

My mother board is a PC-Chips... I think, and don´t know nothing more now. I´ll check it later, as I´m not home now. It has a SiS 530 video on-board and CMI 8338 sound.

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

I'd go into device manager, delete the universal serial bus devices then I'd reboot and reload the drivers for the USB card. I believe they didn't load correctly the first time.

3. HarshMellow

Thank you rootdude,

I already tried, but it didn´t work anyway. I think it must not be a problem on the USB port, but a problem of the printer not "speaking correctly" to the port... but maybe it´s a Windows problem...

4. HarshMellow

Hello again!

I´m not sure if anyone here could help... seems a bit strange problem, but anything helps.

My mobo is a PC100 with a K6-2-333 processor.

I´ve used a usb utility to detect usb functionality on windows, and it showed my system as OK. (from www.usb.com I think)

I´ve tried deleting every usb driver in safe mode and then installing the drivers again trying the printer drivers after and before the detection... neither worked.

On the printer install, there´s a stage in which it checks the port, this time I have to turn on it, but it isn´t detected. Anytime I turn it on it is detected as "unknown device" (under the usb controllers) and remains as it, and I can´t do nothing else to help.

Do anyone think that maybe resetting the PnP settings in BIOS should work?

I want help, please!

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Is plug and play selected there?

Can you go into device manager, under the unknown device and select update drivers? It will probably search for some files on the windows installation cd as well. Watch to see what it finds, and what it's looking for.

6. HarshMellow

Hmmm... It gets a bit strange at this point.

It searches trough the paths I say it to search, BUT, it never finds anything usefull, even when I select the path to the manufacturer´s drivers. It says that no driver was found for the device and to continue using the current driver (usb.inf from windows/somewhere).

Does it mean something?

7. ~Candy~

When you say it finds nothing useful.....is it looking for particular files and saying they cannot be found?

8. HarshMellow

No... I give the path to where the .inf files are, from the manufacturer´s drivers... and then, win searches a bit (sometimes seems as it searches nothing, as it may be too quick) and says the the current driver is the best one for the device... i.e. win doesn´t recognise the correct drivers.

Win doesn´t say the the file can´t be found. Instead, just says that that are no drivers there in the location for the device.

9. ~Candy~

After it says windows has already installed the best one......go the other route and choose have disk.

10. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

HarshMellow:

1. Download the latest driver, firmware etc. for the PCI/USB card and for the printer. Here's a link for the printer driver:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/...bfdmcfjgckidnk.0&oid=14403&infoType=Downloads

2. Uninstall the PCI/USB card.

3. Uninstall the printer. Here's how:

Q: How do I remove the printer driver from Windows?

A: 1. Double-click My Computer, then double-click the Control Panel icon.
    2. Double-click Add/Remove Programs. Click EPSON Printer Software in the program list, and click the Add/Remove button (Change/Remove button on Windows 2000).
    3. In the next window, make sure your EPSON Stylus C42 printer icon is selected and click OK. Then follow the on-screen instructions.
    4. Click EPSON USB Printer Devices in the program list; then click the Add/Remove (or Change/Remove) button.
    5. Restart your computer when you're done.

4. Time to restart the computer....... Go into BIOS at first screen startup page and go in and DISABLE PnP. Enable any other settings concerning USB.

5. If PCI/USB is not found at startup, then manually install with latest driver.

6. Install printer using latest downloaded driver.

7. The USB site you want is:

http://www.usbman.com/win98seusbguide.htm

8. Some other links for you.......

http://files.support.epson.com/htmldocs/sc42ux/sc42uxf1/index.html

http://www.epson.com/er/actions/000172.html This link tells you how to set your port settings!

http://www.fizgigs.com/page.php?page=C42ux+Driver+Epson+Printer+Stylus

Actually, I suggest you REMOVE everything first, then do a COMPLETE system cleanup(delete Temp. internet files, Clear History, System File Checker, Disk Cleanup, Defrag etc.) BEFORE re-installing anything.

11. HarshMellow

yes, but even with "have disk" and then going to the local where are the current files looked by windows, it still doesn´t accept them.

Ah, I just found out abou my mobo precisely, it is a M598 PC 100 SiS 530
    http://www.pcchips.com.tw/M598.html

Someone said to me to change the printer port... but, as it hasn´t been recognised and with no driver installed, would it make sense?

And more... I don´t remember my case there by my computer now, but, when I install the PCI to USB card, must it open a USB port for printers? I don´t remember if one was opened.

12. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

HarshMellow: WOW!!!! You mean in a matter of TWO MINUTES, you completely READ my previous post AND DID EVERYTHING I mentioned and were still able to come back with MORE questions???????????? NOW let's see:

1. "yes, but even with "have disk" and then going to the local where are the current files looked by windows, it still doesn´t accept them".....................................Did you DISABLE PNP IN THE BIOS???

2. "Someone said to me to change the printer port... but, as it hasn´t been recognised and with no driver installed, would it make sense?" .............................From above: 6. Install printer using latest downloaded driver. From above: http://www.epson.com/er/actions/000172.html This link tells you how to set your port settings!

3. And no, installing the PCI/USB card enables you to have USB ports to be used by anything. Don't be surprised if the USB port doesn't supply enough juice to run the printer properly.......a USB port is supposed to supply 500mA but plug-in cards don't always meet those specs. Somtimes a "powered" USB hub works better. This goes for printers, scanners and digital cameras as these devices can draw 800mA easily!

13. ~Candy~

I could be mistaken, but I think that was in reply to my post :rolleyes:

14. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

SORRY! I'm having a rough day on various forums with people wanting help and then when you do, they haven't paid any attention to the advice you gave and ask what you already answered! I'll go outside and get some fresh air. Once again, SORRY.

15. HarshMellow

Hey, hello again,

Really thankfull for the help, but it did no good...

I´ve uninstalled the card, the drivers, everything. Waited and reinstalled (the card even in another slot).

There was a new driver for the printer, but OPTi has no drivers and says that only the OS has drivers for theirs cards. So I remained with the old windows driver.

I´ve disabled USB on the BIOS, but it only disables the onboard USB, which has no port. And there are no other USB options in the BIOS.

Another thing: there was no USB port listed at the advanced tab of the printer. Is there a way to manually try to install one?

And sorry for being too quick! :p just kidding. hehe

Any further help... aprecciated too.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/123617

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice