1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Desktop and Start Icons All Changed To Paint Icons

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by featherhorse, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. featherhorse

featherhorse Thread Starter

Hello. All my destktop and start icons have changed to paint icons on my other laptop. When I click on any of them they try to open in paint program. I searched to try to find a fix but couldn't find anything that would help.:mad: I tried a system restore and it didn't do anything. Could you please help me. Thank you very much!

featherhorse

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Try THIS.

Save the .reg file to your desktop. Double-click it to merge it to the registry.

Restart the computer.

If the fix only opens as a text file (in Notepad), right-click the file (before opening it) and select Open With > Choose Program... Then, select the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor is not in the list, browse to C:\WINDOWS and select regedit.

3. featherhorse

Thank you so much! IT WORKED PERFECTLY!! You are a life saver! There is one icon that I can't delete off my desktop. It was from a program I deleted but the shortcut didn't go away. A window comes up when I try to delete it and says "Could not find this item" "This is no longer longer located in C:\Users\Desktop. Verify the item's location and try again." Could you please help me remove this icon off my desktop? It would be very much appreciated!

Featherhorse

4. Phantom010

Try refreshing the desktop by pressing F5 on your keyboard.

5. featherhorse

I tried F5 and it didn't work.

6. Phantom010

Did you try restarting your computer?

If still no luck, try using Unlocker.

7. featherhorse

I downloaded Unlocker and when I try to open it a window comes up and ask permission for it to make changes to my computer and when I click "YES" the hour glass appears for a couple seconds and nothing happens.

8. Phantom010

Click Start > Programs > Accessories > right-click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Type CD /D %userprofile%\desktop

Press Enter.

Type dir

Press Enter.

Please copy the results from the dir command and paste them into your next reply.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1064489

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice