1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) Desktop Background (98SE)

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by mark4man, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark4man

mark4man Thread Starter

So I got bored with my desktop; attempted to load an image file or two (in Display Properties > Background > Browse) from my own graphics folder. I "Apply" the first couple or so .jpgs, didn't like them; & settled on the 3rd. Looks great. But...Windows remembered that very first preview (even though it's not in the "Wallpaper" list); & now, whenever Windows starts up, that's the graphic I see for about 4 seconds, until my chosen file loads! And when Windows shuts down?...same deal. That's the graphic I see until the PC shuts off. What the heck?

mark4man

2. Cowboy622

Cowboy622

To save a graphic as a wallpaper you need to save it as a bmp (bitmap) and then drag it or copy it to the windows folder. If you drag it or copy it to your windows folder using windows explorer, it will appear in your "Wallpaper list" as a choice that you can apply it. I'm not sure why your jpg. seems caught in limbo there when you are opening a file or opening windows but if you do it correctly, it might cure the defect.

3. mark4man

mark4man Thread Starter

Thanks,

I knew you were correct when I went to the Windows folder; & the image I had loaded by "browsing" wasn't even there. Another response at another board told me to choose "None" & reboot to get rid of both the loaded image & the ghost image, which I did; & that worked. Then I dragged-&-dropped per you; & I'm fine. Thanks again,

mark4man

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114807

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice