1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Desktop Colour scheme keeps reverting to default at startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by STU10, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STU10

STU10 Thread Starter

At startup 2 days ago my desktop colour scheme was reset to classic with grey taskbar etc. When I tried to change it back to silver I found that the windows xp style in display properties - appearance - windows and buttons, was gone and only windows classic style was present.
    Confused I though maybe I needed to do a windows update. I proceeded to do so and while I was at it updated to SP3. After doing this I could successfully change my colour scheme back to silver and change the size of my active title bar and menu font etc back to the way they were.
    But now whenever I restart my PC the colour scheme has reverted back to the default blue xp theme and the size changes back to default as well.
    I'm at a aloss because I have windows auto updates turned off and had installed no new software the night before this happened.

I should also add that I have already done a virus scan, Malwarebytes Anti-malware scan and a Spybot search and destroy scan but found nothing.

2. STU10

STU10 Thread Starter

Ok. I fixed it somehow. Don't know how this worked but it did. I remember after updating windows 2 days ago I discovered that the themes service was disabled so I enabled it and set it to auto but when I rebooted, the theme still reset to default even though the service was still enabled.
    Today I started wondering what other services were disabled so I checked and discovered even though my Themes service was running, when I click on the dependencies tab I got this error message
    "win32 the service cannot be started, either because it is disabled because it has no enabled devices associated with it"
    then I discovered if I tried to click the dependencies tab of all my services I got the same error message even though they were enabled and running fine.
    Upon checking my other services I discoverd the Windows Management Instrumentation service had been mysteriously disabled along with the Security Accounts Manager.
    So I started and set both these services to automatic, changed my colour scheme to silver and this time when I restarted my PC the colour scheme had been saved and was still there.
    The only conclusion I can come to, because I am no expert, is that for some reason the appearence settings were not being saved until I enabled one of those two services.
    Does this sound right.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!