1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Desktop Icons Freeze When Dragging

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tom_SF, Apr 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tom_SF

Tom_SF Thread Starter

I'm running Windows XP SP2 and use a Presario 6350 US with 1 GB memory, a 120 GB hard drive and a Pentium 4 processor.

Recently, when I try to drag an icon across the screen it will freeze for some reason. I'm able to rectify this when I use the Task Manager, but this shouldn't happen in the first place.

I noticed this after I installed some upgrades to my printer but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. I thought I could try using the System Restore, but I want to get some opinions first.

Thanks.

2. DKTaber

DKTaber

System Restore doesn't alter work files or program files installed after the date you pick to go back to, but DOES alter Windows system files, which may correct the problem. So you can do a System Restore without worrying about changing anything important.

3. Tom_SF

Tom_SF Thread Starter

Thanks. I just got through doing a thorough registry cleaning, disk clean-up and de-fragmenting and it works great now.(y)

4. DKTaber

DKTaber

Good. You should mark the thread as "Solved".

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/459075