1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Desktop icons go to Start menu list

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by terrace, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. terrace

terrace Thread Starter

(y)When i double click on a desktop shortcut i find that the icon goes to the start up menu list( to the left of all programs) as well each time. Is there some way to stop this happening? I don`t really need the same one in two places. I`ve included a picture of the Start up menu.:cool:http://img66.imageshack.us/my.php?image=startmenujo0.jpg

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

If you are referring to the section just above All Programs (Frequently Used List) it's normal for programs to appear here. You can use TweakUI to prevent specific applications from appearing here (under Taskbar and Start menu). You can also disable this feature by setting the limit to 0:

• Right click Start
    • Click Properties
    • Click Start Menu tab
    • Click Customize... button.
    • Under Programs, set Number of programs on Start Menu to 0
    You can remove individual programs by right clicking and chose Remove from This List.

The section above that (Windows Media Player and above) are items that are pinned to the Start Menu. Right click the item and choose Unpin from Start Menu.

HTH

Jerry

3. JeffM

JeffM

Windows automatically moves the 6 most used programs into that space. There is a way to alter that number but , like an idiot I have forgotten how lol.once it has 6 in it , it will stop, but I dont think you can leave that space empty. (I may be wrong on that bit cos there is a way to alter the number)

4. terrace

terrace Thread Starter

5. JeffM

JeffM

Well Done. but I bet you forget next time just like I did :D

6. terrace

terrace Thread Starter

Forget what?:)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!