1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Desktop icons rearranged after resolution change (XP)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by anglomike, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. anglomike

anglomike Thread Starter

Hi all!

This is a silly little problem, but it does annoy me... I use XP (with SP2, but I don't think that makes any difference) and like to keep my desktop neat and tidy - but whenever my resolution changes (e.g. when using my QX3 microscope), when I come back to original resolution I find my icons rearranged.

I'd like my icons to stay still!

I have tried the following:
    * rightclick on desktop, Arrange Icons By..., checking "Lock Web Items"
    * Control Panel, Display, Desktop tab, Customize, Web tab, checking "Lock desktop items"

No combination of these seems to work... out of curiosity I checked whether "Align to Grid" makes any odds, but it doesn't.

If anybody could suggest a way to stop the icons moving about that would be excellent. Alternatively, if there is any way of saving the positions of my icons and then restoring them after any rearrangement, that would be the next best thing! Any advice will be appreciated!

Thank you very much,
    Mike

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

3. anglomike

anglomike Thread Starter

Thank you very much! That was very useful. (y)

I can't confirm how stable that program is (googling it suggests a few people are unconvinced) and if you are the kind of person who doesn't want to upload anything that comes without an uninstaller then I guess it's not the solution for you. But it's free, it's small, and it does what it says. The only thing that it doesn't do is prevent the icons moving in the first place!

Recommended for anybody seriously bugged by mobile icons. :)

Mike

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Currently Icon Restore does not support UnInstallation from Windows Add/Remove Programs. However, if you installed Icon Restore and want to get rid of it, download the following uninstall program and run it. This will remove Icon Restore from your system.

Download UnInstall Icon Restore

5. anglomike

anglomike Thread Starter

Even better, thank you! (y)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!