1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Desktop Icons

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by papat, Mar 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. papat

papat Thread Starter

All my desktop icons, except control panel,network, and computer have suddenly changed to generic facades, which seems to be laid right over the original picture. How do I chqnge them back? I'm running Win7 Home. Thanks

2. papat

papat Thread Starter

FoTech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T3400 @ 2.16GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2939 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, 1341 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 229584 MB, Free - 53994 MB;
    Motherboard: TOSHIBA, Portable PC
    Antivirus: Norton Security Suite, Updated and Enabledrgot to include this:

3. Tapper58

Tapper58

I just posted the same problem 20 minutes ago. Must be something going around. Hope we get an answer.

4. Tapper58

Tapper58

It is probably a case of a bad file association, whereby either lnk files (shortcuts) or exe files (programs) have been set to open with I-tunes. I would suggest that you download the following two reg files to restore both of those to their default settings.

Exe: http://www.winhelponline.com/fileasso/exe_fix_w7.zip
    Lnk: http://www.winhelponline.com/fileasso/lnk_fix_w7.zip

Unzip the files and doubleclick on the reg file inside. Click Merge. Once you've done this for both, restart the machine and see whether the issue resolves.

5. papat

papat Thread Starter

lnk_fix could not import." not all data was succesfully written to the registry".

6. Frank4d

Frank4d Trusted Advisor

Some icons will not display correctly in Windows 7 if your desktop is set to use medium or large icons. Right click on the Desktop, then View, then Small icons. However, if small icons is already selected, then this is not the problem.

7. papat

papat Thread Starter

Small already chosen.Thanks

8. vicks

vicks

Try right clicking anywhere on the desktop, select personalize, then change icons, restore defaults. I think this will remedy the problem..
    Vicks

9. papat

papat Thread Starter

Found the culprit. I had d\l a program sometime ago that dealt with the arrows on the icons,so when I replaced the arrows ,that did it. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.Papat

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1043746