1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(solved) Desktop Icons

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dabwid, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dabwid

dabwid Thread Starter

Is there a way to make the background for the text transparent?

2. michael_jii

michael_jii

can you please be more specific... the background for which text.. where?

3. dabwid

dabwid Thread Starter

The text on the shortcuts on the desktop, like where it says My Computer,Internet Explorer,and so on.

4. 700mb80min

700mb80min Banned

Hello dabwid , what o.s. are you using ?

5. Emtronics

Emtronics

It is transparent in XP. And if you are not using XP, there is some third party software that'll do it. I used it on an Win98 machine, but it must run in the systray to work. Do a Google and search for it. Sorry, I can't recall the name of the thing.

6. mobo

mobo

What I do is go to control panel/ folder options and select "single click to open an item and poof its done..

7. dabwid

dabwid Thread Starter

Motherboard I tried your suggestion, didn't work. What I am trying to is change the background color for the text to transparent, so that the desktop background is not quite so blocked out by the color you select in the apperance setting in the display dialog box.

8. mobo

mobo

Go to control pnel/system/advanced tab/performance/ and select performance tab. Have "let windows choose whats best for my computer " .This way all boxes should be checked..

9. Tushman

Tushman Banned

motherboard, you're an idiot. I'm startin to think you actually believe you're good with computers! Just what in the world does your advice "let windows choose whats best for my computer" have to do with dabwid's question?? Do you actually know what you're doing over there?

Hey dabwid, like emtronics said, you need a software tool that allows you to change that background. I downloaded one a couple of years ago, but the author has discontinued it. You can search on tucows or cnet for some freeware that will do the job but i can also e-mail you the setup file. I think it's around 2 MBs - if you're interested, send me a PM w/ your e-mail address.

10. mobo

mobo

If the poster was using xp and he somehow disabled the service it would be reset by doing this. Or did you know that already and if not you do now..

11. Davey7549

Davey7549

Dabwid
    I have been using a program Simply Transparent for years and have had no problems with it. It will do what you want on all windows platforms.

Tushman
    Your comments in your post towards Motherboard are uncalled for. If you have a difference of opinion please take it offline in PM's to discuss it. I do not consider Motherboard an Idiot nor do I devalue his motives or opinions. As a matter of fact I am glad he is part of our TSG team! So please watch how you express yourself!

Dave

12. mobo

mobo

13. Davey7549

Davey7549

MB
    Seems Simply transparent is disappearing from view!:eek: :D ;)

It still can be had from our Australian friends.....

Click Here

Dave

14. 700mb80min

700mb80min Banned

Annoyances .Org lists some options to try as well .Didn`t try them before but have tried the simply transparent davey suggested , and it works quite well. I am posting the link only because the site has a good selection of other " tweaks" for all operating systems.

15. mobo

mobo

Works great on w2k..

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!