Solved: Desktop icons

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ROGER7721

I had Windows 7 Premium installed recently.
How do i change the way a desktop or menu icon looks. I have a few icons that are windows generic.

First Name
Judy
Hi Roger7721!
1. Right click on a empty area of the desktop and click on Personalize.
2. Click on the Change desktop icons link at the upper left corner.
3. In the middle pane, click on a desktop icon that you want to change the icon for, and click on the Change Icon button.
4. Pick an icon that you want to use instead, or click on the Browse button and go to the location of the icon you want to use.
5. click OK
6. Close the window.

Good luck! :)

ROGER7721

Judy,
I am an idiot when it come to computers.
I tried what you said, but I am confused in the icon transfer. Can you explain it again. I don't know what I am doing wrong.

First Name
Judy
No problem :)
1. Right click on a empty area of the desktop and click on Personalize.
2. Click on the Change desktop icons link at the upper left corner.
you will see this #1 image below- this is where you will select which icon you wish to change. You will see there are only 5 items on my desktop that you can change the icons (computer, Judy, network, recycle bin full, recycle bin empty).

3. Click on a desktop icon that you want to change the icon for, and click on the Change Icon button.
you will see all the icon choices in the image #2 below. This is where you will click on one of the icon choices to shoose it to replace your present icon.

4.Click on icon that you want to use instead. (If you have created an icon then you would choose browse and go to the location where you saved it- I am thinking this isn't the case though since you said you aren't really techy :) )
5. click OK
6. Close the window.

Good luck! :)

Attachments

ROGER7721

JUDY, THE PROCEDURE DOES NOT WORK. I followed all your steps, but there is a problem.
After clicking the icon i want changed, it highlights. But after i click button change icon, the icon is no longer highlighted, therefore the rest of the steps dont work.

i did create the icons i want to change, therefore I will have to browse for it.

Judy, can you help me on what to browse, i don't know where these icons are, except on my destkop.

I apologize for my ignorance and am grateful for your help. ty

Roger

Ent

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Josiah
When it comes to changing those five icons Judy's procedure does work. You do lose the highlight when you click change icon, but the icon still changes at the end of it. Let's say you want to change the picture on Computer to a new one you've made and stored in My Pictures. From that point, here's what you do:

Select the icon you want to change.
Click change icon
Click browse
Move to whereever you saved your icon.
Click Open
Click OK
Click OK.

Every time that a shortcut appears to that place (Computer) it will have your new icon.

First Name
Judy
Roger7721,
Just so you are aware since you said you created your own icons, any icon of your own you want to use instead of the default icons needs to be a 256x256 pixel .ico Vista style icon file to properly display at larger view settings.
Ent's directions are correct for browsing to your own icons. :)

ROGER7721

Thank you for your time, help and patience , kowledgeable, professionalism.
problem has been rectified.\Thankyou for your help.
Roger

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online