1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Desktop.ini?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by avie, Jun 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. avie

avie Thread Starter

:DVista Home Prem.

I am again trying to find out why I have 2 hidden destop.ini and 1 open on desktop.

Can I remove?:

"[.ShellClassInfo]
    LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21787"

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

One is the Desktop.ini file from your Desktop folder, the other is the Desktop.ini file from the Public Desktop folder.

I'm not sure what would happen if you delete them. The system may recreate them, or your Desktop folder might revert to a standard folder. I'll have to try that in a VM just to see what happens...

I wish the View Hidden/system files could be applied on a folder by folder basis

3. avie

avie Thread Starter

I have a total of 3 Desktop.ini files. I do not what or how the third one, that is exposed, got installed on my Vista System. Do you know the 2 hidden contents?

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Public:
    Code:
    [.ShellClassInfo]
    LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21799

User:
    Code:
    [.ShellClassInfo]
    LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21769
    IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-183
    [LocalizedFileNames]
    Command Prompt.lnk=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-22022
    Windows Explorer.lnk=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-22067

On an x64 System, Public is the same, and this is the User one:
    Code:
    [.ShellClassInfo]
    LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21769
    IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-183

Right click the file, click Properties, The location is shown on the General tab. Just double click to open.

When you say you have one open on the desktop, do you mean the file is being displayed in Notepad?, or do you actually have 3 Desktop.ini icons on the desktop, with two of them being hidden, and one not hidden?

5. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

You likely have one in your personal Desktop, another in All Users, and perhaps a third in Default or Public.

If you do not have any icons in those Desktops, you can delete the desktop.ini and it will say gone (at least until an icon is placed there, then it will be recreated).

6. avie

avie Thread Starter

The desktop ini I was trying to remove was open in notepad on my desktop while the other were hidden.

This is very informative and I did remove it somehow. Thx for getting back to me.

Thank you very much.

7. avie

avie Thread Starter

Elvandill, Monerator:
    Dave A & Outcast all have my appreciation for solving my Desktop ini inquiry.

The desktop ini I was trying to remove was open in notepad on my desktop while the other were hidden.

This is very informative and I did remove it somehow. Thx for getting back to me.

Thank you very much.
    Avie

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/837505