1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Desktop Internet connectivity issues, but WiFi works.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by maximarx, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maximarx

maximarx Thread Starter

First post here in the forums, hopefully this will make some sense.I have a cable modem and a Belkin router. Yesterday my desktop computer (plugged into my router) was not connecting to the internet. The odd thing is that my iPhone and iPad both connected to the WiFi from the router. We have not had any power outages recently or other issues. The only thing i have done recently is install Windows Live essentials. My computer is fairly old, but I keep everything up to date as far as drivers and other programming. It is running XP. I think I am pretty computer savvy, but this is driving me crazy. I have cycled power to both the modem and the router to no avail. Please provide any assistance available. Thanks.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    can we see an ipconfig /all

what firewall / security suite do you have or ever had - trial version of mcafee, norton
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ipconfig /all
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here

We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results in a reply here

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results to notepad and then automatically open notepad.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results to a reply here
    to do that:
    From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
    all the text will be highlighted
    Next
    From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy
    Now go back to the forum - reply and then right click in the reply box and paste

3. maximarx

maximarx Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll run the config tonight and bring results here in the morning. I did have mcafee at one point several years ago but it is uninstalled. Now I use Malwarebytes, which had been working fine as far as I know.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  5. maximarx

maximarx Thread Starter

I can try the tool, but I've had a good connection using the router for over a year now.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    these security suites can cause all sorts of issues - for example norton has been uninstalled on a PC in 2007 yet it suddenly blocked access in 2011 and the removal tool resolved

it may not be the issue in your case - but it would be worth trying

7. maximarx

maximarx Thread Starter

OK etaf, I will try to run it. I deactivated my computer on the McAfee website. Now I just need to try to get that uninstaller onto my home computer (the computers at work use encryption for thumb drives). I am also going to try a new ethernet cable from the router to the desktop computer when I get home. I'll be happy if thats all it is!

8. maximarx

maximarx Thread Starter

Well, I have an internet connection now. I will see if I can get my iPhone to connect wireless to iTunes later when I plug it into the charger. But, thats a minor thing if it doesn't work.
    -I ran the McAfee program
    -I ran the ipconfig
    -And as I ran the ipconfig, I opened IE and just on a whim, ran the diagnose connection problem and that is what fixed it. The icon in the taskbar is not lit up blue like I have a connection, but it is working. I will re-post if I any further issues. Thank you so much for your help.

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    try a tcp/ip stack repair - now mcafee off

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2/SP3

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log
    and press enter

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog
    and press enter

Reboot the machine.

Please note and post back - if you receive the message
    Access is Denied

Post back the results here
    rightclick in the box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Details also here
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

10. maximarx

maximarx Thread Starter

Ran the TCP/IP repair. Doesn't seemed to have changed anything. The icon is still grey. But it seemed like my iPhone may have connected to the computer and iTunes last night when I plugged it in to charge. Anyway, thanks again for your help.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1060644

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice