1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Desktop machine can't hit home network after installing new router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Danimal47, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Danimal47

Danimal47 Thread Starter

I have 4 machines on my home network - 3 desktops and 1 laptop. My D-Link router died and I replaced it with a Linksys BEFSR81 router.

My initial issue was that during the router sw instillation, the router could not validate an internet connection. Problem appeared to be that the machines had the router IP address and would not release it.

After a few hours on the phone with Comcast and Linksys, the machines decided to cooperate and release the router IP address and was able to complete the router installation. The laptop and 2 of the desktops are able to hit the net with no issues.

However, my 3rd desktop is unable to connect to the network. I have tried the disable/enable the network connection with no success. I have rebooted the machine hoping to see if this would fix the issue.

When I am in the Network Connections window and click on the local area connection icon, I see in the lower left hand corner an IP address of 169.254.203.3. This IP address shows up everytime I reboot or try to disable/enable the connection.

I have the TCP/IP properties set up to obtain the IP address and DNS Server automatically.

OS - WinXP Pro - SP3
    MB - MSI P965 Platinum
    CPU - Intel D 3.0
    Ethernet Connector - Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabyt

Before my D-Link router died, everything was working great.

Thoughts/ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

2. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

I didn't see you mention anywhere if you have a firewall and if you do did you disable it on the problem computer and then try?

3. Danimal47

Danimal47 Thread Starter

Hi Ziggy1,

No I didn't. Just tried that and still have the same issue and am getting the same IP address. After I disabled both frewalls (XP and AVG), I rebooted with no success. Then I tried the disable/enable, then I disabled the connection, rebooted, activated the connection and am still getting the same IP address referenced above and am still not connected.

Thank you for the ideal.

Daniel

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I've had to get a couple PCs that have AVG Security Suite networking and was not able to disable the dang firewall in a way that didn't re-enable on a reboot. What's your secret to keeping it disabled, please?

5. Danimal47

Danimal47 Thread Starter

Hi TerryNet,

I opened the control center, left clicked on the firewall, then clicked on the "deactivate the AVG Firewall". After doing that, the firewall stays off, even on a reboot. Not doing anything special. Also, I am running AVG 7.5.

Also, I fixed my network connection issue. I got a Linksys gigbit NIC card, installed it and connected immediately. I assume that when my D-Link router died (I was online at the time), something happened to the internal NIC configuration etc.

I am going to mark this as solved.

Take care

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thank you. And, I'm glad you found a solution.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755922

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice