1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Desktop not display fully,, wide line on left

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by shilo999, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shilo999

shilo999 Thread Starter

Hello all,

I have a friend who is using the Windows XP home edition. Her son did something to the desktop...???? (can't remember what)
    and now everytime the desktop comes up.. there is about a 2 inch
    wide line across the left side. We have tried everything we can think of to remove it.. no luck. On this line there are 3 folders
    listed with drop downs also. My Files, Other Network Places,
    and Details. Any help on how to get the desktop to display
    fully...

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Right click on the line, scroll to the word "toolbars" and untick them.

3. shilo999

shilo999 Thread Starter

Already tried that....No response at all,, when I right click,, or left... absolutely nothing.... No drop down menus at all...It also has no pointer that changes at the edge to where I can even drag to shrink it down.....

4. putasolution

putasolution

Try this

Make sure that the taskbar is unlocked ( right click anywhere on the taskbar and make sure that lock the taskbar is unchecked), then left click and drag the taskbar to the bottom of the screen

5. shilo999

shilo999 Thread Starter

This is not the taskbar,,, the taskbar is already at the bottom of the screen... On this 2 in wide line.. it goes from the top of the screen to the bottom. I can't click on it anywhere ... no response. Thats what makes it so agravating ... no resonse..

6. putasolution

putasolution

Is this a blooming great big black line? If so, it has nothing to do with Windows, but with your monitor.

If it is, you need to adjust the monitor X,Y Coordination, using the buttons on the front of the monitor,

If it's not black, what colour is it?

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

PAS, there's 3 folders appearing there....do you think it may have something to do with active desktop????? Or some type of channel bar?

8. Krall

Krall

It could be your video adapter or monitor TYPE got changed. right click on your desktop and go to properties. then in the new window that appears click the settings tab under the screen area move the slider to 800x600 and see it that works. if not, while still on the settings screen, click the advanced button. then click the adapter tab, under adapter type, does it have the right type listed (if you know) or does it have something like "Standard PCI"? if so it is wrong and you need to change it. also while you are on this screen, click the monitor tab and see if your monitor is listed properly. What does it say? also in the drop down box under Refresh frequency make sure it is set to 75hertz.

9. putasolution

putasolution

C, you could well be right as could Krall. I think we need some more feedback on this one!!

10. shilo999

shilo999 Thread Starter

Hi putasolution,

The line is a light gray,,, its part of Windows... the three folders have drop down menus associated with them...

AcaCandy... active desktop or channel bar? Can you expand on channel bar? I have played around with disabling/enabling Active Desktop... no change...

Krall,,
    Will check out the video adapter to make sure...

thanks everyone... you keeping supplying me with more "stuff" to try... its appreciated!!!

Shilo

11. pileyrei

pileyrei

Can you take a screen dump of the desktop with this line so we can have a look please?

Pileyrei

Just in case you don't know how to do this:

Load the desktop screen.
    Press Print Screen on your keyboard.
    Open MS Word (if you have it)
    Click edit>paste.
    Save the file to your pc.
    Upload it in your next post!

Ta

12. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Can you right click somewhere on the desktop, properties, desktop, customize, web is the desktop locked so you can't change it?

13. Krall

Krall

a screen capture like pileyrei said and any more info you can give would be great

14. shilo999

shilo999 Thread Starter

Gotcha friends... I'm going to her house this eveing and I will
    provide you with the screen dump and try your suggestions...
    as well as providing more info...

stay tuned for "The Next Chapter".

15. pileyrei

pileyrei

we're waiting!.......:D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!