Solved: Desktop out of Control

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bobroosth

Client's Fujitsu Lifebook N5010. Bunch of icons on the desktop. When she clicks any icon, only the top one in the column is highlighted. And that is the one that responds to a double click. Keyboard cursor will allow selection of other icons.

I futzed with this for several hours. The only thing I found is that disabling the Atheros wireless connection (in Network settings) would return full control. Enabling does not return the odd behavior until after a restart.

I swapped drivers, both Atheros and mouse/touchpad. No help. Updated to Windows XP SP2 (from SP1). No help.

Fujitsu says to backup and restore to factory disk image!

Suggestions?

How are these icons arranged? Right click on the desktop and see.

If "auto arrange" is selected, deselect it and try to manually arrange the shortcuts. Does the arrangement make a difference?

It's also possible the icon spacing or size for these may be an issue. This is controlled through Desktop > Properties > Appearance > Advanced.

And regarding the wireless association, is the mouse also wireless (if using an external one)? You may have a conflict or weak battery.

bobroosth

Not auto-arrange. Didn't change icon spacing, but it looked normal. Mouse is MS wireless, but the problem is there with the mouse disconnected. Are you suggesting that the radio signal from the mouse would conflict with the WiFi? Had not thought about that. I'll suggest it to the client.

Thanks.

If they are both on 2.4 ghz, it's certainly a possiblity, especially if the mouse battery is weak.

bobroosth

Is that the range for cordless mice? I don't know. I did send an email to the client asking her to pull the batteries and take the usb transceiver out of the room. It will probably be tomorrow before I see a reply.

That is probably the frequency that the mouse runs on. There are "channels" within that, like cordless phones (another possible conflict). I haven't used a wireless mouse so I don't know if they are switchable. Wireless joysticks also run on that frequency

Most wireless adapters will also run on that frequency, but some run on 5.8Ghz, as do some cordless phones.

bobroosth

I don't recall. I downloaded the supposedly current driver from Fujitsu as well as the one that shipped with the system. Didn't matter which. I initialized focused on the wireless driver when I killed most of the entries in Startup, including ACU. Things got better. Then I updated drives and things got worse. Very little about this makes sense.

bobroosth

Client just emailed to say that cleaning the touchpad corrected the problem! Go figure.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online