1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Desktop shortcuts no longer work

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by claudiamthompson, Dec 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. claudiamthompson

claudiamthompson Thread Starter

Suddenly now, when I try clicking on any of my desktop shortcuts to open a page I
    saved on the internet, it will say: "This file does not have a program associated with it
    for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel."
    And it will not open. I use Internet Explorer 8.

I tried following the directions someone gave on another forum about desktop
    shortcuts that do not have an association in the folder options, by going to my control
    panel, opening the Folder Options folder and then I click on the third tab.

But I must be doing it wrong. Could you please be more specific about what to do?
    Once I go to my control panel and I open the Folder Options folder... and I click on
    the third tab... exactly what do I do after that?

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
  3. claudiamthompson

when I download that zip file, and click on it, it doesnt show me anything inside of it, a window pops up asking if I am sure I want to add the information to the registry, and if I click yes, it says its successful then I go click on my desktop shortcuts and they still wont work.

It does the same thing with both unzipped files.

4. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    It sounds like you did it properly, but the problem isn't the link associations.
    Does this only happen with internet links, or are links to programs broken as well?

5. claudiamthompson

It seems to happen on Internet links only on my desktop because when I click on my html editor CUTE Html or Windows Movie Maker on my desktop they start up just fine.

I dont know if this might have anything to do with it but a few days ago I downloaded Google Chrome and then all the desktop icons changed to the Google Chrome-looking ones. Then I decided to delete Google Chrome and it seems like right after I had done that... thats when the desktop shortcuts stopped working.

So I decided to try redownloading Google Chrome to see if it would make the desktop shortcuts start working again but had no luck with it.

6. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Ok, let's try this:
    Open Internet explorer.
    Press Alt
    Click Tools
    Click Internet Options
    Go to the Programs tab.
    Click Make Default.
    Click OK.

7. claudiamthompson

Well this is strange, I just now thought I'd try something, and if I right click the desktop icons and instead of clicking "Open" I click "click to open" then the link works and opens it up in Internet Explorer.

But if I click "Open" it doesnt work and if I just double click the icon like usual, it doesnt work either.

8. claudiamthompson

Hey THANK YOU!! It works now, I just did what you said and made Internet Explorer the default and it works, it must've somehow undone that when I installed the Google Chrome, perhaps?

9. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    You're welcome. I reckon that chrome, when you installed it, set itself to be your default browser which is why all the icons went to the chrome one. It just forgot to put things back.

I'm a bit concerned about there being a "click to open" entry in your list, since that certainly isn't default behavior. However, I can only imagine that you set that up in the folder options you were messing with earlier. If that's the case it won't do any harm, so you could remove it or leave it as you wish.

Would you mind clicking the "Mark Solved" button at the top of this thread, so that others with the same problems know they might find an answer here.

10. claudiamthompson

okay, I will mark it as solved. I think I will leave well enough alone with the "click to open" part though. Thanks again!

11. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Probably a very wise decision. If it isn't broke and all that.

12. smokey62

smokey62

Thanks ENT. I had the same problem. I had forgotten I accidentally installed Chrome when downloading a new program and then uninstalled it. Making Internet Explorer the default browser solved the problem. Thanks again.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!