1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Desktop won't obtain address

Discussion in 'Networking' started by petercraig, Jul 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. petercraig

petercraig Thread Starter

i have 3 pc's on a wired ethernet LAN, fronted by a 2Wire router and a cable modem. This has been working for sometime. Today, one PC stopped obtaining an IP address from the DHCP server, despite configuration settings to do so. Other PC's are ok. I got around it by forcing the IP address and related DNS settings in the TCP configuration, but why would this have changed ?? All the PCs are running W98SE. Clues ?

2. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    Assuming that your router is handling the DHCP, try recycling it by just turning if off for a few minutes. Verify your DHCP settings on the router, and if they are correct, just recycle the router by turning it off for a few minutes.

See if that works............

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Since you were able to force the settings and connect, my guess is the setup of the DHCP server is limiting the number of IP leases available. One other possibility is some machine is connecting and disconnecting often and the DHCP server in the 2-Wire is too stupid to give it the same IP address, thus using up the IP address reservations. One solution to the second issue is to make the lease time shorter, that way orphaned IP slots get released faster. You will notice no difference in performance with any setting of lease time, it's transparent to the user.

4. petercraig

Thanks for the ideas. I tried recycling the router, but it didn't make a difference. The DHCP server hs been very consistent in assigning each desktop the same IP address and doesn't appear to be over allocating. We're only talking a total of 3 desktops here. My suspicion of the moment is that the protocol routines in the PC that won't obtain an address have become corrupted. I am going to try the unistall/reinstall routine for the network drivers on that machine. The router is behaving normally with the other desktops, and for that matter with my laptop which I connect only occaisionally to the network. I'm more suspicious of the desktop end of the connection than the router.
    Peter

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you think TCP/IP might be corrupted on a Win98 computer, there is an easy solution. Have the Win98 source files available.

1. Temporarily install NetBEUI. This is just so you keep the network drivers. If you have the network drivers. Then you can skip most of this and just remove all the networking components and reboot.

2. Remove TCP/IP

3. Reboot

4. Add TCP/IP back in again. This will overwrite the corrupted files.

5. Remove NetBEUI

6. Reboot.

6. petercraig

Sorry for the gap in response. i had to go out of town unexpectedly and just got back. In the mean time the system in question became massively unstable and i took the whole box out of service. The system randomly hangs, with screen going to black, sometimes with power shutting down as well. i had replaced the PSU several months ago after a similar, but less intense, set of incidents, and it had run without incident. Thanks for the networking help all you guys are great.
    PC

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/248140

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice