1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: desperately needing to ditch the dial-up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dawnykins, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dawnykins

dawnykins Thread Starter

I just got a Webstar Cable Modem (DPC2100 series). Im running Windows98SE on a dinosaur(somewhere around 1997) HP that does not have an Ethernet port. Im trying to install the modem using the USB port, but even with the installation cd, it cant find the driver. Is this even possible or do I have to buy an ethernet card and install it? Please help...I just started school online and this dial-up thing is waaaaaaay too slow.

2. Dennis L

Dennis L

USB on w98 is going to be a challenge. A bigger challenge is living with a USB link for network type connections. I would suggest going the Ethernet card route to connect your computer to cable modem.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Did you ask the ISP if the modem they gave you works with Windows 98 SE? Did you look online at the modem manufacturer's web site to see if they have a Windows 98 SE driver?

Since Windows 98 SE is generally not supported, you could have problems finding a network card as well.

4. dawnykins

dawnykins Thread Starter

Yes, I did. In fact there is supposedly a driver on the installation disk that they gave me with it, but it still wont work. That was one of the first questions asked. Do I have to install an ethernet card or can I just use an USB-to-ethernet adapter?

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

A USB ethernet adapter should work as long as you get one that has support for Windows 98 SE.

6. Dennis L

Dennis L

WebSTAR™ Model DPC 2100™ and EPC2100™ Cable Modem User’s Guide (.pdf file)
    quotes from above document.
    dawnykins
    Contact your ISP provider and ask if they can install the broadband service for you. Generally with new installations this is a provided service. In many cases they will provide a Ethernet card and install it for free (insist on a Ethernet connection - USB on w98SE is unreliable).
    SUGGESTION .... I notice you live in Las Vegas. In a city that large you have a number of broadband providers. Call up your ISP provider. Explain to them your computer skills are limited and will purchase their service, but they must install the service. If they refuse, ask to speak to their supervisor. If they continue to be resistant, ask them if they could suggest a ISP provider that does provide on site installation. You will need to provide them with the model number of your HP computer. This will let them know if you have a PCI slot available to istall the Ethernet card. Good luck.

QUESTION
    Was the modem you have provided by your ISP. If yes, they should be familiar with it and have no problems installing it. If YOU are providing the modem, I would suggest the following. Ask ISP to provide the modem and install. This may cost $3.00 to $5.00 per month more. After a couple of months, call them up and tell then you have purchased a modem and wish to return theirs. To install your modem just plug it in using the same cables as provided with ISP modem. Ask them if you need anything to identify your modem to their service. They may ask you for the MAC number for your modem. If yes, you can generally find it stamp on the modem or supplied information with the modem.

7. pugmug

pugmug Banned

8. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Also, if you want better usb for all your ports then this card will work with your 98 operating system. I have installed 6 of them in 98 systems with no problems. http://www.payhalf.com/product/56/64/26852

9. Dennis L

Dennis L

The only driver the modem will provide is for w98SE USB connection. This is because many w98SE systems will not have / not provide the correct USB driver. All later OS's have the correct driver installed to allow USB connections. Understand the driver is to allow / provide a USB connection. Has nothing to do with the modem software.

10. Mulderator

Mulderator

An ethernet card is about $10--install one internally--much less potential problems than USB.

And upgrade to XP.

11. dawnykins

dawnykins Thread Starter

Thanks for all your responses. I bought a network/ethernet card that is, by the way, compatible with win98 today and installed it internally and when I turned on my computer, it recognized it, but even with the installation disk, the computer says its unable to locate a driver...maybe its the disk. Also, when I try to open the disk, it tells me that the disk is not formatted...do I want to format...etc. The cable company i got the modem from will install it for $100. I'm on a limited income and dont have the extra money to spend on installation. I also dont want to upgrade to XP because this computer is on its last leg and Im saving for a new one.

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If you're getting the "not formatted" error, your floppy drive probably just bit the dust.

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

Windows Updates should update ethernet drivers, can you still use dialup to do this?
    Or Google the ethernet card driver and download it that way. I'm wondering if you have Win 98SE at all and that could be the problem as Win 98 doesn't do much with usb.

14. dawnykins

dawnykins Thread Starter

I downloaded the drivers from the net and it still wont install. Is there something special I'm supposed to be doing, or am I just supposed to be able to install it with the Install New Hardware option in my control panel? Because thats not working.

15. dawnykins

dawnykins Thread Starter

Okay, good news! Well, sorta. Computer finally found the driver and installed it, but I still cant get online via my cable modem because my IP Configuration is wrong. Called the cable company (Cox Communications) and they cant help me because they cant give information to people about IP stuff unless they have windows 2000 or better? Sounds like a bunch of bullmalarky to me!! Can anyone help me???? Pleeeeeeeze...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484410

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice