1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Destination Drive

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by kuolpej, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kuolpej

kuolpej Thread Starter

My problem is with Windows Easy Transfer. I am transfering from XP to Vista computer. Since the content in D:\ drive of XP computer exceeds space available in the D:\ drive of Vista computer, transfer terminates due to insuficient space. I have lots of room in C:\ drive of Vista computer, but the transfer process won't give me option to select C:\ as a destination drive. QUESTION: How do I transfer file and setting from D: drive of XP computer to C:\ drive of Vista compter? I appreciate all help and suggestions.

2. HalTrout

HalTrout

I've never used windows easy transfer, but can't you selectively transfer files? If so you could break the xfer into smaller segments.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

There is a simple way of fixing this. Vista has a built in ability to resize partitions [I assume you have the single drive partitioned into C and D]
    To open disk management, go to start>run and type in "diskmgmt.msc" without quotes and hit enter.

Now select the C partition and choose to shrink it. Once that is done, click D and choose to extend.

Note before doing anything with partitions, do a complete backup of the system OR make an image file.

4. kuolpej

kuolpej Thread Starter

With diskmgmt.msc, I was able to shrink C:\ partition to create a larger D:\ drive. Problem solved. Thank you.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Glad it worked. I will mark this one as solved for you. FFR you can mark your own threads as solved using the thread tools at the top of the page.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590049

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice