1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Destination Path Too Long when Copying

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jarhtmd, Mar 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jarhtmd

jarhtmd Thread Starter

I copied my data folders/files from my winXP C-drive to my external hard-drive & then to my new win7 C-drive. After about 20-25 minutes of copying (with 5 seconds remaining) ... I got the attached message ... (2 found) ... I clicked Skip ... same message again (1 found) ... I clicked Skip ... same message again (0 found) ... I clicked Skip.

"You can shorten the file name and try again, or try a location that has a shorter path." I compared the "JAR Control Panel Buttons" source & destination folders & found 3 files that were not copied. Not knowing how much too long the paths were, I guessed & they copied OK with shortened names.

I was just lucky. Out of 13,000 files there were a lot of possibilities. I could have had a real mess on my hands.

Is there any way to

• find out before starting if there will be any errors?
    • effectively click "Skip for all", to prevent having to baby sit the copying process?
      • would clicking "Do this for all current items" accomplish this?
    • output complete paths of affected files to a log?
    • determine how many characters overflowed? How many is too many?
    • copy filename1 to filename2?
    Would "Cancel" have stopped copying at that point?

Attached Files:

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

3. jarhtmd

jarhtmd Thread Starter

Thanks

Is there any way to copy filename1 to filename2?
    In other words, is it possible to "copy/paste" a file, changing the name in the process?
    ...copy c:\folder\subfolder\filename1 to c:\folder\subfolder\filename2
    ...not rename...create another (duplicate) file, but with a different name

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Not that I know of.

5. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Only from a Command Prompt, not in the GUI.
    If it's going to the same folder you don't have to specify the path for the Destination
    If there are spaces you have to use double quotes:
    Code:
    Copy [COLOR=Red][B]"[/B][/COLOR]C:\folder\subfolder\file name[SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue][B]1[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=Red][B]" "[/B][/COLOR]file name[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=3][B]2[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][COLOR=Red][B]"[/B][/COLOR]
    Copy [COLOR=Red][B]"[/B][/COLOR]C:\folder\subfolder\file name[SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue][B]1[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=Red][B]" "[/B][/COLOR]D:\Someplace Else\file name[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=3][B]2[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][COLOR=Red][B]"[/B][/COLOR]

6. jarhtmd

jarhtmd Thread Starter

Thanks, Mumbodog & Outcaste.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/911476