[SOLVED] Device Conflict?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Money Pit

Dave
My printer has caused a conflict in Contol Panel>System>Device Manager, in Win. Me. I can't remember which yellow icon to delete? Then I click refreash? Please refresh MY memory. Thanks Dave.

Money Pit

Dave
it's a USB printer> Don't think it matters much, I just want to clear a conflict in "Device Manager" Thanks Dave.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Well, if it's a parallel printer, you'd want to delete the LPT port...since it's a USB printer, the conflict is more than likely with the USB sharing with another piece of hardware.

Take a look at your IRQs --- start button, run, then type msinfo32 and press ok....go to hardware, IRQs, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste if you need further assistance.

By the way, how many yellow icons are showing?

Money Pit

Dave
IRQ 0 System timer OK
IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard OK
IRQ 2 Programmable interrupt controller OK
IRQ 3 Communications Port (COM2) OK
IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
IRQ 5 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering OK
IRQ 5 ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK
IRQ 6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller OK
IRQ 7 ECP Printer Port (LPT1) OK
IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
IRQ 9 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus OK
IRQ 9 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering OK
IRQ 9 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering OK
IRQ 9 ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK
IRQ 9 C-Media CM8738 Audio OK
IRQ 9 C-Media MPU-401 OK
IRQ 10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering OK
IRQ 10 AOpen PCI Modem Enumerator OK
IRQ 11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering OK
IRQ 11 NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 OK
IRQ 12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port OK
IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
IRQ 14 ALi M5229 PCI Bus Master IDE Controller OK
IRQ 14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo) OK
IRQ 15 ALi M5229 PCI Bus Master IDE Controller OK
IRQ 15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo) OK

Only one yellow icon.
Is this want you asked for? Thanks Dave.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
I guess one question that I haven't asked.....is everything working? Printer, sound?

What device shows the yellow exclamation mark? And what does it say the problem is? You initially said your printer, but you didn't know which icon it would be, so I guess that is why I'm asking.....you don't have any spare IRQs to move things to unless you disable com 1 or com 2.......do you have anything running through those ports?

Money Pit

Dave
Printer is hooked up but no functioning properly. I have one yellow?! in device manager called: Lexmarkx83 Scan\Print\Copy. I need to clear this conflict. How do I do it? Thanks Dave.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Try deleting it completely, reboot and see if windows finds it again. You'll more than likely need the driver disk that came with it.

Has it ever worked with this configuration?

Money Pit

Dave
Always did work fine. Just did a reformat and it messed up when I reinstalled it.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Ah, ok, now I understand.....the reformat moved your IRQs around and that's why it's not working. That is why I asked you if the sound was working......I've never successfully had sound and USB on the same IRQs and had everything be happy.

Are you using the com 1 and com 2? If not, you are going to need to disable them either in your bios setup (and if that doesn't fix the problem and things don't shift around) you'll need to place a check mark in the box that says 'disable in this hardware profile' in the device manager area for them.

Also, if you're not using the LPT port, that is an option too.......

Now, if you'd only said that earlier........... ;)

Money Pit

Dave
Thanks. I've resolved the issue by deleting the conflict in Device Manager, hitting refresh, clicking on advanced and selecting Browse. After inserting the program driver CD, Windows located the drivers. Conflict resolved Thanks Dave.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online