1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Device driver errors and unusable computers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WolfZword, Jan 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WolfZword

WolfZword Thread Starter

Alright, I'll try to explain what's been going on in the past half-year.
    Coming of June, school's out for the summer. I decide I want to double my RAM so Garry's Mod will run faster. I take the computer downstairs for my step-dad to work on it, and apparently he has to install a new system drive. He does so, I take the computer back upstairs, and apart from the Windows XP installation not validated, it works even better than before. This goes on for a month, when the computer now refuses to let me on unless I validate the installation. While attempting to do so, it goes FUBAR and step-dad has to install another new system drive.
    This one works pretty well for a while. Missing sound, I install the drivers and plug in some headphones. Around this time, trouble started.
    Programs, among them my web browser (I'll probably have to type the rest of this in Notepad or something) begin crashing for what appears to be no reason, with the error reports blaming random .dll's. Then, while trying to install my favorite first-person shooter, the computer crashes during installation. From then on, most programs have failed to work properly, either crashing themselves or crashing the entire computer. Sending the error reports always got back a message blaming device drivers. When it became obvious drivers I had been missing for most of the past half-year weren't the immediate cause, I began to suspect the sound drivers I installed myself, but I like having sound too much to uninstall them and look for ones that won't screw up my computer.
    As the weeks passed, the crashings became worse, until eventually, three times in the past three months, my Windows XP profile was corrupted. The first time I was able to reclaim most of it (losing my desktop and Windows Live custom emots); second time, System Restore saved the day; and the third time I had to create an entirely new profile. Describing the problems on Yahoo Answers got the usual response ("How do I fix <insert object>?" "get a new one"), which helped nothing.
    I was hoping you guys could help: why is my computer constantly crashing? (Something tells me I forgot something important; if you need additional info, specify it.)

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

3. WolfZword

WolfZword Thread Starter

Ran the Microsoft Memory Test.
    Four passes, three normal, and one extended. 571 errors in all.
    All passes saw errors in the Stride6 tests; I didn't catch exactly how many per try, but in the end it was 157.
    Extended test also saw 326 errors in the Stride38 test.
    WStride-6 saw 88.
    Stride6 with caching off saw no errors.

Alright, so the problem seems to be with the memory. Now, how do I go about fixing them?
    (If it's any help, all errors were confined to one RAM slot; both are 256 MB.)

4. WolfZword

WolfZword Thread Starter

Problem solved. Replaced the dual 256 sticks with one 512 stick, and I haven't had a problem since.
    Thanks for the programs, at least, they were a huge help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/676003

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice