1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: "Device has malfunctioned" - Digital Camera Help...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jackdw, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jackdw

jackdw Thread Starter

Sorry if this should be in the camera forum but its a hardware issue rather than a issue on how to use it.

As you may or may not have heard, us folks in England have about 3 inches of snow, the country is at a standstill and no one can do much. I've had two days of the school being shut (I'm not complaining).

I went with a friend to take her dog for a walk, I took my camera to try and get some nice shots. I got nudged by her and it fell in the snow. I took out the batteries and the memory card and put it all in my pocket. 15 minutes later I put it all back together, it takes pictures perfectly, I can view them on the camera perfectly, just I try and get the thing to connect via USB and I get "Device has malfunctioned"

I don't know if it was the snow that did it but it says that on two computers, both running windows XP pro.

It's a Fuji Finepix A330 (About 4 years old) 3.2 megapixel. I have a H1gb card in it. It was all working fine USB wise last time I tried to connect it (a few weeks ago)

Is there any reason it's done this? Any way to fix it? I don't really want to buy a new camera, I know a card reader is an option but I'd like to get them off via the cameras USB cable.

Thanks
    -Jack

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Take the card out and then re-seat it....if there is a tab on the card for protection check to see it is in the right place.

Check in the Camera settings that USB is enabled ...should be somewhere in the settings.

3. jackdw

jackdw Thread Starter

Done the card trick, no luck. No lock for protection, but shouldn't that let me at least READ the files?

USB is set up for file transfer to PC.

After I posted it worked and I managed to copy about 10 pictures (at 750mb each) then it said malfunctioned. Turned it off, waited a few minutes, worked again and I managed to copy about 50 pictures. Malfunctioned, did the same again and copied about 100 pictures. Now it just malfunctioned again.

Could it be just wet and is improving its working time as it dries out?

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Yes could be....are the batteries fully charged.....

If you get all the photos off the card I would reformat the card

5. jackdw

jackdw Thread Starter

Well I copied the remaining pictures. Did an extra copy of all 192 of them to make sure.

Should I format in windows or use the format function in the camera itself?

6. bonk

bonk Banned

if the camera is up to it use it ...if not try Windows

7. jackdw

jackdw Thread Starter

Done it using the camera. Took a test picture and it's fine. I guess it just wanted to dry out a bit.

Thanks for replying and suggesting things. I'll mark this as solved now

8. bonk

bonk Banned

Ok Dokee

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542585

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice